Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Ideas on Westward travel from Albany NY region

Looking for a different and Unique route to the Wyoming, Montana area and the National Parks. Been there many times but always looking for a change.
I have to be careful with low clearances as I am 13'4" with the front AC. We love to see the wildlife and history of the locations.
Oh yeah, will be traveling from the end of June into August...no time limits.

Great wife, and traveling companion
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext Cab 4X4 6.6 Diesel Duramax, Allison 3:73
2010 Coachmen Northridge 320 RLQ 5ver
32coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
thinking outside the box ...

north through lower Michigan
cross the Mackinac bridge
US 2 across the UP of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota

2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi 32coach,
For me, the height mentioned in the OP eliminates the NYS Thruway from your choice of route. The Western end of the Thruway has many bridges rated at 13' 6", with warning signs. Since the 13' 4" mentioned is a static height (not moving down the road) I'd stay away from the Thruway. I notice your in Vermont, so there are choices of westward routes.

I am not a fan of the Detroit, Cleveland and Erie area. For me, it is an area to get through as quickly/safely as possible.

Consider taking I88 to I86 across NYS. In Jamestown, NY there is the Lucille Ball museum. Go to Lucille Ball 100th Birthday August 6 | Lucille Ball - Desi Arnaz Center and read about it.

If you stay on I80/I90 through North Eastern Indiana, there are quite a few RV manufacturing plants in the area. Shipshewana, IN is a few miles south of I80/I90. Between Shipshewana and Nappanee, IN is Amish and RV country. Newmar is in Nappanee. Plant tours are offered 2 times a day. I like what skigramp posted about going north through the LP and UP of Michigan. The northern part of the LP has Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Then, northward to the Mackinac area. Continue on North to the American side of Sault St. Marie. There is a Great Lakes Maritime Museum (inside a ship). One can also take a boat ride through the locks.

Then go west young man go west. The shopper in your family will like the next stop. Consider stopping at the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN.

Since you've been to the western area before I'll confine my suggestions to some things you might not have done.

Minuteman Missile National Historic Site at I90 exit 131. Go to Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service) and read about it. Reservations are a must. Same exit, go through the Badlands National Park and stay at the Badlands KOA. Around dark, go the the NP Amphitheater located at the South entrance to the park. About 90 minutes after sundown is will be so dark that:
1. you can't see your hand in front of your face
2. you'll see Russian spy satellites passing over monitoring our missiles
3. If it is a clear night, with no moon, the sky will be full of stars. There will be almost no black in the sky. It will be all stars. You'll be able to see the Milky Way Galaxy.

If you go, take a flashlight. it is really dark. There may also be a range talk during this time.

Hot Springs, SD. This is the home of the Mammoth Site. It is an indoors active archaeological dig. It is an impressive look at the remains of Mammoths.

At I90 exit 9 in Wyoming. Medicine Wheel National Landmark go to Medicine Wheel National Historic Site - Wyoming Articles & Tips - Wyoming Travel and Tourism and read about it. Park the RV at one of the CGs along I90. Route 14 is not good for RVs. If you go, at the split between route 14 and 14A there is a nice local restaurant to have a meal at. No matter the temp at I90, take warm clothes. The Medicine Wheel is at 10K' elevation ind there could be snow year around.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have read this - I thought all bridges on the NY Thruway were minimum of 14'.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Here are some places we have enjoyed along the beaten track, and off the beaten track.

Western ND along I-94 - Theodore Roosevelt NP, AKA the northern Badlands;
Medora, ND - Medora is a really neat little western town. The Post Office is a museum in its own right. Go to the Pitchfork Steak Fondue for supper and then take in "Medora, The Musical."

Along, and near US 20 across northern NE:
Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historic Park NW of Norfolk, NE. See where lots of animals died as the result of a volcano eruption in Idaho.
Arthur Bowring Sandhills Ranch SHP. Did you ever see a real Sod House?

'14 Winnebago Vista 35F, '14 GMC Terrain
BlueOx Towing Pkg, SMI Stay-n-Play
49 States & 7 Provinces visited in MH | WIT W112365
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Glad to have read this - I thought all bridges on the NY Thruway were minimum of 14'.
Here is a website I check when in the Northeast or Mountain (tunnel) areas:

Low Clearances

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote