Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #1

We have recently moved up from a pop-up to a 5000#, 27 ft long Jayco TT While we think the stay in the camper will be awesome, we are a bit intimidated by the towing. We are towing with a Yukon XL (think suburban). So far, it pulls the trailer very well, but we have only been on flat Illinois farmland with it.
In February 2007, we are planning to take a 10 day trip to Florida. We will stop at Disney for a couple of nights then on to south Fl to visit family who winter there. We know that weather can play a big role in Feb, but we will just have to take our chances that it won't snow/ice on us!
My question is about the route down there. Are the mountains between Nashville and Chattanoga very bad? Will be pull at normal speed or will we be very slow? Is is very curvy or just winding?
Also, if anyone has driven from Central Illinois to Disney, how long did it take? Where did you stay for the night inbetween?
Thanks for all advice/help!
Allie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #2

We have recently moved up from a pop-up to a 5000#, 27 ft long Jayco TT While we think the stay in the camper will be awesome, we are a bit intimidated by the towing. We are towing with a Yukon XL (think suburban). So far, it pulls the trailer very well, but we have only been on flat Illinois farmland with it.
In February 2007, we are planning to take a 10 day trip to Florida. We will stop at Disney for a couple of nights then on to south Fl to visit family who winter there. We know that weather can play a big role in Feb, but we will just have to take our chances that it won't snow/ice on us!
My question is about the route down there. Are the mountains between Nashville and Chattanoga very bad? Will be pull at normal speed or will we be very slow? Is is very curvy or just winding?
Also, if anyone has driven from Central Illinois to Disney, how long did it take? Where did you stay for the night inbetween?
Thanks for all advice/help!
Allie

Old 07-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Are the mountains between Nashville and Chattanoga very bad? Will be pull at normal speed or will we be very slow? Is is very curvy or just winding?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually when you leave Nashville I-24 is not bad until you get to the north side of Monteagle. Coming up from the north it fairly steep in a couple of places, but no switchbacks etc.
Going down toward Chattanooga is pretty steep and the road curves a few times. Probably not my favorite place to think about towing down. We have done that route numerous times in automobiles and several times with the MH and toad. GO SLOW!! The curves coming down are not steep, but sweep around the mountain. They could use more bank for sure.It is not uncommon to see trucks sitting in the runaway stoppers, but I sure would hate to be sitting in the driver's seat and have to use that method to stop.
Be careful, make sure your brakes on the Yukon and the trailer are in good shape. You can pull off at the top and check your rig. Don't build that extra speed that you will have to bleed off on the way down. About 5-6 miles and the road gets relatively level again.
You do get into some more "hills' closer to Chattanooga but nothing too severe. Try to stay out the way of the trucks headed south after you hit I-75.
Atlanta is another story
Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #4

Ditto what Doc said...Monteagle Mountain is your only big challenge. The Yukon should pull it okay, but gear down on the downhill to stay slow and avoid overheating brakes.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might consider coming down I65 to Montgomery, AL
Take State 231 to I10, go East to I75, South to the FL Turnpike to Orlando.

Nor A bad ride, and you don't hve to figt Atlanta.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. That route through Alabama to I10 is the route that my in-laws take when they go to FL each winter. They want us to go that route, but it looks like it is a couple of hours longer than going through Chattanooga. We are going on a 10 day trip and will be driving 4-5 days of that , so hoping to go as quickly as possible. Still, intimidated by mountains and snow/ice
So do you know how much longer that Alabama route is than the Chattanooga route?
Allie
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure how much difference there is in time, but you can lose a lot of time if you run into Snow and Ice going the Chatanooga/Atlanta route. The Alabama route is a fairly easy drive.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You might consider coming down I65 to Montgomery, AL
Take State 231 to I10, go East to I75, South to the FL Turnpike to Orlando.

Nor A bad ride, and you don't have to figt Atlanta. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I winter in Florida and use this route to avoid the mountains, and it does. If you calculate the mileage, there is about 80 miles longer for me. That translates to about 1 1/2hrs longer. It's well worth the extra time to avoid the chance of bad weather atop the mountains. The only slowdown on this route is skirting Montgomery, the bypass has stoplights and heavy traffic if you arrive at rush hour. Don't miss the exit or I65 will take you hours out of the way. About 10 miles North of Troy there is an excellent RV park to stop for the night, and the timing is right after driving all day.
Afterthought, From the RV park North of Troy it is an easy day's drive to FT. Myers. Orlando area is much closer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Allie if you take the I 65 rt. when you get to Montgomery take I 85 east to rt. 271 and then south to us 231. Like RAY said traffic on the bypass can be heavy. If you do gothru Moneagle just stay in the slow lane with your 4 way flashers on.Going uphill most trucks will be doing the same thing but if they have jake brakes they will be flying downhill. Dont ride your brakes downhill but slow down release brakes and then slow down again after your speed builds back up. If your speed is below everyone else keep the flashers on. Either way is not bad. Have fun.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #10

Allie I forgot to say this about internet mapping programs. They all insist on routing me across I24 to I75 for some reason. I thwart this by adding a stop to my trip at Madrid, AL; then continuing on to my Florida destination. This displays the I65 South to I85 East to US 231 South bypass around Montgomery,AL, which is much less congested than the South side route.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #11

Thanks Ray!
That is the route we will be taking. I guess my father in law was right when he originally told us to take that route!
Allie
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Allie, we towed a 24 foot trailer with a Yukon XL (97) It was 4 wheel drive and only rated to pull 6500 lb and we were at our limit fully loaded. Hope yours tows higher, but anyhow take your time and gear down on any mountains. You will have a great time at Disney, we try to do 1 day a year there.