Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We need info on the best route to Perry,GA once we get to I77 in NC. Both FMCA and Good Sam maps route us to I85 and then thru Atlanta to Perry. Tried YahooMaps and MapQuest today and both route I77 to Columbia, SC and then to I20, and from there to take US129 in Georgia to Perry. Does anyone know if that route would present any problems for a motorhome.It does avoid Atlanta, which seems good. Our concern is that Yahoo and Mapquest don't deal with motorhomes and the other ones do. Thanks, Martha and Conrad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We need info on the best route to Perry,GA once we get to I77 in NC. Both FMCA and Good Sam maps route us to I85 and then thru Atlanta to Perry. Tried YahooMaps and MapQuest today and both route I77 to Columbia, SC and then to I20, and from there to take US129 in Georgia to Perry. Does anyone know if that route would present any problems for a motorhome.It does avoid Atlanta, which seems good. Our concern is that Yahoo and Mapquest don't deal with motorhomes and the other ones do. Thanks, Martha and Conrad

Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just a suggestion here (I know there might be a better route) to keep you out of Charlotte, Atlanta and/or Columbia.

I-77 to Statesville NC and turn west onto I-40 to Hickory.

US 321 south(4 lane and better road than most interstates - much less traffic also) to I-85 in Gastonia NC

I-85 south to Georgia and US441 south in Commerce

Follow US 441 thru Athens to Madison Ga on US441/US129 south.
In Madison catch Ga 83 south to Forsyth and I-75 south toward Macon.

Use the I-475 bypass around Macon and Perry Fairgrounds are just down the road a few miles.

We use this route a lot from Virginia to Athens area and from Athens area to Florida and S Georgia. Driving a 36' MH and pulling an Element.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

From I-77 in Charlotte, I would run I-85 to Commerce GA (I-85 Exit 149) and get off onto Hwy 441 down to Macon (you will need to get off 441 south of Eatonton onto 129), pick up I-75 to Perry (Exits 136 and 135-Fairgrounds exit). The route you suggest seems to involve a lengthier route (based on looking at the map). Hwy 441 is picking up more truck traffic due to the delays around Atlanta. Haven't run that particular section of 441 in years but it should be in good shape since it is considered a Major Road (the parts that I have been on are kept in good shape but that does vary by county). You will have a By-pass around Athens (shift to the West side and you will find a Cracker Barrel there ). That is the route I would take, but you might not agree.

BTW, If you like seafood, Perry Exit 136 has a place called Hong Kong Buffet. Nights you get All-You-Can-Eat buffet with Crab legs and raw oyster (I love raw oysters). Foods's pretty decent. And it's Cheap (Lunch Mon-Fri $6.45, Dinner Mon-Fri $9.99, Fri & Sat Dinner $10.99 Sunday All Day $9.99 with Drinks $0.99). We picked up their business card at the cash register (1 each for Lunches and 1 each for Dinners) and get it signed (each because they won't combine diners and they don't "mix" the meals) and buy 9 lunches or dinners and get the 10th FREE (okay, I'm Scottish and FRUGUAL). We eat up there on Fri or Sat because BOA is up there and we make a deposit. Also Sonny's has an All-You-Can-Eat Sliced Pork BBQ plate for $10 same Exit, slightly closer to the Interstate but both are opposite Kroger and in front of Wal-Mart. Both restaurants are pretty good. There is also a Red Lobster and misc Fast Food at that Exit too. Only Restaurant at Exit 135-Fairgrounds is Cracker Barrel. BTW, We're at Exit 101 Cordele so we've been up in Perry quite a bit in the last few months.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by conmart371:
We need info on the best route to Perry,GA once we get to I77 in NC. Both FMCA and Good Sam maps route us to I85 and then thru Atlanta to Perry. Tried YahooMaps and MapQuest today and both route I77 to Columbia, SC and then to I20, and from there to take US129 in Georgia to Perry. Does anyone know if that route would present any problems for a motorhome.It does avoid Atlanta, which seems good. Our concern is that Yahoo and Mapquest don't deal with motorhomes and the other ones do. Thanks, Martha and Conrad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good route - 129/441 starts out as 2 lane at I-20 then goes new 4 lane for maybe 30 miles then back to 2 etc. I drove the Madison, GA (just north of I-20) to I-16 portion last month and it was a nice drive.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #6

You could pick up I-26S In Asheville NC (from I-40W) down to Greenville SC (take Hwy 25 and go around the West Side of Greenville down to I-85 OR get off Hwy 25 onto Hwy 11 down to the Fairplay Exit (I-85 Exit 1 on I-85... Lake Hartwell SP at that Exit too as well as Table Rock SP up near Pumpkintown). Hwy 11 is in good shape with few stops (or anything else for that matter... we used to live/work in that area of SC). Basically, you need to sit down with a map and start looking hard at the many different ways to get to Perry. Since you are out of the Mountains, most of the roads listed as Primary/Secondary roads are in good enough shape for a motorhome.