Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Information Request - US Route 60 in New Mexico

What are the general road conditions, grades, fuel availability, etc. from the AZ State line east through Socorro and on to Encino? I'm considering a "scenic" route eastbound after visiting the Petrified Forest instead of taking I-40. Encino and east is familiar territory.

Thanks for any info.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

I can tell you that there is a gas station in Magdelena and Socorro has several. It's not too steep between the two towns. I have yet to go past Magdelena but we will be heading to PieTown for the festival on Sept 11. As for the other direction... we have traveled down Hwy 60 to Mountainair. We are doing a Sunflower festival this weekend there. The road is nice but no gas until you hit Mountainair once you leave the interstate (last chance for gas is Lemitar truckstop). My suggestion is to keep your tanks topped off and carry an extra can of fuel. While most of the towns tend to be roughly 40 miles from each other, there can be long stretches (like between Roswell & Tatum on Hwy 380 there is a 75 mile stretch... no fuel between the two... we found out the hard way)

U.S. Route 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Route 60 Tour of New Mexico and Arizona - Articles - Travel + Leisure You may find this article interesting its from Socorro westward.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Lorna,

Thanks for the information and the links. I look forward to the trip through that area of this great country.

FleetMan
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #4

BTW, You can camp free in PieTown on US60. Look up their website and you should find a link to the Festival page (just in case the restaurant is closed... you gotta have pie while there). Directions to the town park are there. Magdelena had a campgrounds as well. Socorro has mobile home parks that take Rv's and Casey's RV park (that is where we live). A county park is on the North side of town (Escondida Lake Park.. public park) but I haven't been there. There is a campground at the Mountainair exit (right at the interstate) and a hotel with hookups in Mountainair. Lots of public camping in the area... mostly no hook-ups or water/electric only. The Socorro Semi-Super WalMart allows RV parking overnight. Several restaurants in walking distance from WM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all the good Kansas tips, I still need a campground or a place to park in or near Willow Springs, MO which is also on Hwy 60?

I could make something work on Hwy 160 in West Plains, MO just as easy?
nccamper
Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccamper View Post
Thanks for all the good Kansas tips, I still need a campground or a place to park in or near Willow Springs, MO which is also on Hwy 60?

I could make something work on Hwy 160 in West Plains, MO just as easy?
nccamper
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread!