Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Interstate 40 Driving Conditions

I'm planning a trip out west from Tennessee. Someone told me today that I 40 is a terrible piece of highway. Can anyone tell me the condition of I 40?

Monaco man

Steve Gilbert
2011 Monaco Knight
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
msg1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club

I live about two miles from I-40, and drive the road all the time. We live on the West side of the state. Just drove back from OKC today. Most all of the road construction is finished from OKC to Texas state line except for the bridge repair at the Canidian river. The rest of the highway is is in very good shape. Their is a new rv park on the west side of OKC, ON South side of interstate. Elk City, where I live has nice campsites at the small lake on the South side of town. Water, electricity, and it's FREE! Can't tell you much about the East side of the state except that stretch of road from OKC TO Arkansas is usually pretty good road.

mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMO it is no better or worse then any other interstate. They all have their good and bad sections along with construction. Remember if you never leave the interstate the view never changes. I would be more concern about latitude and weather then road condition depending when you travel.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Interstate 40 Driving Conditions

I have driven I40 from one side of the country to the other... It is as good as any freeway, good spots and bad spots...

This time of year, I'd rather be on I40 than I80, and would rather be on I10 than I40. Actually, I'd rather be on I95 heading south of Jacksonville, or I75 heading south from GA...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
I can't believe the reputation of I-40! The tales must be held over from years past. We've driven it recently through AZ and NM and it was o.k.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
what lake in Elk City?
scoutdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been a while since we traveled I-40 but when we did the worst sections seemed to be around Little Rock and OKC. We would catch I-40 at Memphis and travel to Flagstaff, AZ going to Las Vegas.

There is a nice KOA w/full HU at Salisaw, OK for the east side of Oklahoma and on the west side of Oklahoma the city park at Sayre has a nice park with only water & electric and a separate dump site. Both parks are easy on/off exits for the interstate but far enough away you don't have the noise.

Sallisaw, Oklahoma Campground | Sallisaw / Fort Smith West KOA

Sayre RV & City Park | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
We drove from Knoxville all the way to and back from Albuquerque last October. Overall I40 was in good condition but the worst area was the east side of Arkansas, there was a ~50 mile stretch that was terrible.

I would follow the truckers and follow their lead, if for some reason they shifted to the left lanes it usually meant bad roads on the right.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
We live in Little Rock and travel both directions on I-40. This road is in really good shape now that the construction is finished. Still some rough stuff just west of Memphis for about 5 miles or so.

I-30 splits off of I-40 at Little Rock, take I-440 loop, and it runs through Dallas where you can connect to good roads to the west there.
Both of us retired Spring 2016 & loving it
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide
2015 GMC CC DRW 3500 Duramax
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Originally Posted by scoutdad View Post
what lake in Elk City?
It's just called Elk City lake. The lake is straight West of the golf course. I knew the city had built these rv sites with hook ups, but I didn't know they were free.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
in AZ basically good. some construction, limited rough spots. In CA again some construction, but good condition.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Just drove it from CA to Flagstaff. It is okay except there are dips occasionally like I have never seen on interstates anywhere else. The good news is that there are signs telling you when they are coming. Believe them. Also if you have traffic in front of you watch for them hitting the dips and you will know exactly where they are.
Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #13

Drove from Memphis to Barstow last summer and as said above it is like every other US freeway - some real good highway and some not good at all. Unfortunately I don't remember what areas were good and or bad.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
Here's a hint. Find the US highways etc. Nothing to be seen on the interstate. We use a Rand McNally motor carrier atlas. If its a red road we travel on it. Much more scenic and relaxing

Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote