Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Avoid 95 if you can, last trip from Florida to mass on 95 took 32 hours driving time. When I take 95 out of Florida to 26, to 77, to 81the trip is about 22 hours driving time. The hills in a 38 foot gas motorhome with toad have never been an issue
Mrfix
The ruts, potholes and patches will rattle your teeth in South Carolina through North Carolina!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I just came up I-95 from Port St Lucie all the way to the Del Mem Bridge around Thanksgiving of 2015. If you haven't driven 95 RECENTLY it has, in my opinion, had a tremendous improvement.

Since the OP is headed NORTH, here's my cut at it. Again, this is barely three-month-old information:

Florida - minor construction around Vero Beach, mostly SB, so no worries.
Georgia - three lanes in both directions all the way through, for the most part.
South Caro - a bit rough in spots, but overall OK.
North Caro - three hours of serenity. No problems
Virginia - from Emporia north to about Fredericksburg, no problems at all. Depending on TIME OF DAY, Fredericksburgh north could get dicey with DC traffic. If you time it to be anytime after about 4PM, you'll be fine. Go straight through Richmond. The bypass just wastes time.
Maryland - three lanes of HOV between DC and Baltimore have made this previously nightmarish route not bad at all. Timing can be everything, though.

Since the OP is headed to Binghampton, he'll probably not get into DE or PA so no worries there.

I-95 from Florida to NYC is about as hill-free as you'll find for a major interstate along the east coast. Certainly compared to I-81 it's a world of difference.

I've been going up and down that route since the mid 1960s or so and 95 is in the best shape I've ever seen it.

For a change of scenery, and if you are NOT headed up in to PA/NY, US 301 off near Richmond, up through Fort A P Hill, and then across the Bay Bridge at Annapolis and up the DelMarVa peninsula to Wilmington is also a nice diversion, though not as fast.

Unless they're firing up a fleet of dozers and graders real soon, there is very little construction to slow you down anywhere between central Florida and Wilmington, DE.

Accidents and crappy weather can have an impact, but that's true anywhere.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not traveled I-95 for any great distance in many many years so can not help you with your plans.. But if you are oh, say coming up on 49 out of FL and getting tired.. Exit 49 has construction but it will not be a problem. Turn left, 3 miles, the road takes a hard right but there is another road that goes Straight.. Go Straight, That big white retangale at the end of the white rail fence says Cathead Creek RV Park.

NO trees so your Sat TV works rather well. Nice for an overnight. (Some folks stay for a long time) I'm on site 12
Old 02-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have to make a correction on the mileage I stated from posr #11. I ran a google map check on the mileage between Rt 95 or the 75 - rt 81 way . seems it is shorter to go up I 95 from the tampa area... So my revised route will be I77 to us 301 to I10
to I295 around Jax to I 95 to US 17 at fredricks burg Va to I 66 to I81 and back to central NY,, .
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
I just came up I-95 from Port St Lucie all the way to the Del Mem Bridge around Thanksgiving of 2015. If you haven't driven 95 RECENTLY it has, in my opinion, had a tremendous improvement.

Since the OP is headed NORTH, here's my cut at it. Again, this is barely three-month-old information:

Florida - minor construction around Vero Beach, mostly SB, so no worries.
Georgia - three lanes in both directions all the way through, for the most part.
South Caro - a bit rough in spots, but overall OK.
North Caro - three hours of serenity. No problems
Virginia - from Emporia north to about Fredericksburg, no problems at all. Depending on TIME OF DAY, Fredericksburgh north could get dicey with DC traffic. If you time it to be anytime after about 4PM, you'll be fine. Go straight through Richmond. The bypass just wastes time.
Maryland - three lanes of HOV between DC and Baltimore have made this previously nightmarish route not bad at all. Timing can be everything, though.

Since the OP is headed to Binghampton, he'll probably not get into DE or PA so no worries there.

I-95 from Florida to NYC is about as hill-free as you'll find for a major interstate along the east coast. Certainly compared to I-81 it's a world of difference.

I've been going up and down that route since the mid 1960s or so and 95 is in the best shape I've ever seen it.

For a change of scenery, and if you are NOT headed up in to PA/NY, US 301 off near Richmond, up through Fort A P Hill, and then across the Bay Bridge at Annapolis and up the DelMarVa peninsula to Wilmington is also a nice diversion, though not as fast.

Unless they're firing up a fleet of dozers and graders real soon, there is very little construction to slow you down anywhere between central Florida and Wilmington, DE.

Accidents and crappy weather can have an impact, but that's true anywhere.

Thanks for the great report! I am glad to hear 95 has improved and will plan our trip south accordingly.