Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Iowa to Rehobeth Beach DE

We're planning a trip in May 2019 and need advice on the best route through the PA mountains. We're familiar with towing our 27' trailer, but have never gone through this area before. We'd like to stop in Shankesville, PA then Philly on our way to the Beach. We welcome your ideas of the best route to take. Thanks!
mogburn804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogburn804 View Post
We're planning a trip in May 2019 and need advice on the best route through the PA mountains. We're familiar with towing our 27' trailer, but have never gone through this area before. We'd like to stop in Shankesville, PA then Philly on our way to the Beach. We welcome your ideas of the best route to take. Thanks!
WELCOME!

Think you'll find if you give a little more info we can give a little more help.

Are you just going A to B,C,D?

Or is there more in the middle - How much time - When - ......................
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
I travel this round trip every year but stay away from the toll roads through IL, IN, OH, and PA as the tolls are excessive in a RV + toad. I use I-80 to I-74 to I-70, drop down on I79 to I68 and then back on I70. Then you can take several different routes in MD to the Eastern Shore. Suggest RT50 east over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Rt 404 east to Delaware. Your GPS can take over for that.

I understand wanting to visit Shankesville - maybe do that one way and back the other?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

I just verified what I remember about the stretch between Wilmington DE and Philadelphia. The area has been settled since before the Revolutionary War. Few campgrounds and well out of the cities. You probably need to be making reservations for someplace as soon as they start taking them. You might do better staying in NJ as Independence Hall is just over the bridge.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #5

Thx for replying.
Our basic rout is Davenport Iowa across to Shanksville, PA. Stopping overnight is planned, Then on toward Philly. This is where we need help. In PA - tolls, mountains, etc... From Philly to Rehobeth is the next step.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

Thx so much. How about the Delaware bridge? Towing the RV?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #7

Sorry about being so vague. Headed out from Davenport, IA, stopping overnight (boondock) and then on to Shanksville, PA. Where I'm not sure of is the mountains, the tolls in PA, and over to Philly. Obviously we will park and go into Philly without the Trailer. Then on over to Rehobeth. Anything to avoind will be helpful. Thx
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
There is very little to choose from in campgrounds near Philly. One exception is Campus Park & Ride which has very little in the way of amenities but is right in the heart of Philly and offers superb access to the sights and attractions of the city.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Thx for replying.
Our basic rout is Davenport Iowa across to Shanksville, PA. Stopping overnight is planned, Then on toward Philly. This is where we need help. In PA - tolls, mountains, etc... From Philly to Rehoboth is the next step.
Here you go - Stay on I-95 exit at the Christiana Mall exit - Costco and other Tax Free shops here - then on down south on the Tolls Road - Easy Pass will make it much easier - on to Dover, Sam's Club and more Here - On south no more tolls - I placed way points at all the notable CampGrounds along the way - then past Rehoboth Beach to the Delaware beach CampGrounds at Indian River Inlet.

https://binged.it/2C6Xd2q

Hope this is what you were looking for - you will need reservation NOW as everything is full in the Summer

Best of Luck,

We have a Family House there and I still need the Coach to get a Bed - ---
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #10

We take l-80 and stop at Timothy Lake South in the Poconos then over to the Jersey Shore (Encore Lake and Shore) then down to Cape May and take ferry to Cape Henlopen SP near Rehobeth. PA is very mountainous so lots of ups and downs. Bald Eagle SP in PA 10 m off I-80 is a good stop. We come from MN in a Class C towing. The ferry is fun!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We live in central PA. All the mountains have been leveled out. Seriously, none of the interstates, including the PA Turnpike have anything to worry about. If you want to drive the Lincoln Highway from Iowa to PA, you'll have some beautiful but well marked hills in PA to negotiate, but again no worries. You'll be on US 30 at Flight 93 Memorial. That stretch is particularly pretty. May I suggest you look at Shawnee SP just east of there for your stay. Then you can decide from there to continue on the Turnpike east, or drop south from Breezewood to MD and 68.

Enjoy
Cornbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yogi bear Quarryville pa.

Near the Amish country. Try Millers awesome.

Masseys landing Del.

We have stayed at both, already have reservations for both this year.

Philly I would drive in and drive out before dark.

Stay in the tourist 4-6 block area keep your wits about you, have ya phiily cheese steak, and be out by dark.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Here you go - Stay on I-95 exit at the Christiana Mall exit - Costco and other Tax Free shops here - then on down south on the Tolls Road - Easy Pass will make it much easier - on to Dover, Sam's Club and more Here - On south no more tolls - I placed way points at all the notable CampGrounds along the way - then past Rehoboth Beach to the Delaware beach CampGrounds at Indian River Inlet.

https://binged.it/2C6Xd2q

Hope this is what you were looking for - you will need reservation NOW as everything is full in the Summer

Best of Luck,

We have a Family House there and I still need the Coach to get a Bed - ---

Thanks do much Busskipper! Just what I needed!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #14

So appreciate your info. Thx!