Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Is it to early to change my route re. Weather

I'm going to Yellowstone up I75 through Tenn. Kentucky, across to Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska then into Wyoming. The news is not good and is really scaring the DW. Should I head south use I 10 into Texas and then up through Oklahoma?

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

I suggest you check the weather about a day ahead of when you will be somewhere ... the weather in the midwest seems to be quite unsettled right now ... solidify a travel plan for more than a couple of days in advance is probably unwise ...

Weather.com has a "road / highway" option ... this allows you to check the forecast along a particular road ...

I live in WI and leave here during the winter ... I map out several possilbe routes to my destination ... and then modify it day by day according to the weather forecast ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Funny, we're asking ourselves the same thing and have already decided to stay as far west as possible when we go from Arizona to Minnesota in a couple of weeks. We have family in Mo and Ill but don't want to be cruising through there this year.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

I would tend to bypass OK as that is usually the worst area. You didn't say when you inteded to travel. Things "usually" tend to lighten up in the coming months. As advised check the weather for each day to travel and play it by ear. Advise if do not have CB w/weather channel then get a weather radio and lay out the route to safe shelter each night when stopped. I was raised in the Midwest and have seen my share of those things
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Denis, Ruth & Gracie:

Hi from the Mpls., Minn. area. We full time in a MH towing a small car and move around the country quite a bit. Just left FL for here in Minn. and had a heck of a time gettin through that terrible storm front which had settled in from Oklahoma up toward Virginia a few weeks ago. Presently, the weather pattern across tornado alley (ie., Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Georgia, Tenn., Kentucky, etc. etc.) is causing problems and if we were departing FL, for Yellowstone, we'd definitely head West on I-10 through Louisiana, into Texas then find our way NW through Texas, say to Amarillo area and on NW to connect to I-25 running North of Albuquerque, NM, then North on I-25 through Colorado Spring, Denver, and on up to Wyoming etc.

This would likely be a much more comfortable trip weather wise although there are NO guarantees, AND, it's a very interesting and scenic route. This would also get you behind, or West of, tornado alley.

Have a great time. Your Yellowstone trip sounds like a great idea. Since you'll be in the area when ya get to Cheyenne, WY, ya also might not want to miss the Black Hills (Rushmore, etc.), Devils Tower and on W. to Yellowstone.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #6

We have found the 81st Meridian highway to be an excellent choice for traveling from Texas to Fargo. It was originally supposed to be a straight line from Canada to the Gulf but ended up with a few curves. But, altogether an excellent route with light traffic, smooth roads and quite a scenic trip. Being off the major turnpikes yields lower fuel prices, friendlier small towns with camping areas and nice family restaurants.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
We have found the 81st Meridian highway to be an excellent choice for traveling from Texas to Fargo. It was originally supposed to be a straight line from Canada to the Gulf but ended up with a few curves. But, altogether an excellent route with light traffic, smooth roads and quite a scenic trip. Being off the major turnpikes yields lower fuel prices, friendlier small towns with camping areas and nice family restaurants.

I've never heard of this. What is the 81st meridian highway? Google appears to yield nothing.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi D in Davie,
I'll be leaving south Florida in a week and will not change my route. Going to I 40 in NC and west to Oklahoma City. Then North to I 70 and West to Denver. We have in motion Sat TV and the wife's job is to keep me informed about what the Weather Channel is saying. The plan is to travel most of Tornado Ally as early in the day as possible. We will need to stay one night somewhere in the danger zone. Where we stay will depend on what the Weather Channel is broadcasting. Until we get to Denver, each day's travel will be based on the Weather Channel.

I have a couple of back up plans, but do not want to default to them just yet.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you consider I-75 to Chattanooga then I-24 up through Nashville, Paducah and into Illinois and up. The quicker you get north the less the danger. We usually cross Iowa on I-80 and avoid St Louis when going to S Dakota. Just stay on 80 into Nebraska and into Wyoming.
Weather radio is an excellent idea, as is the weather channel TV
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Oops, it starts in N. Dakota as hwy 281 and then proceeds South to San Antonio. Alternate is Hwy 81

The reason it was sometimes referred to by we oldtimers was because it was originally supposed to be an absolute straight line from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico on the 81st meridian. (Meridians are the vertical lines on a globe that provide East/West navigation aids) Unfortunately politics reared its ugly head as usual, along with cost.