Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's not please tell me your suggestions. We have a 32' Class "A" gasser and we'll be pulling a ZR2 S10. I am not bothered by mountain driving because we have a lot of that here in California but I am trying to avoid New York City, Philadelphia and Baltimore. This trip will be in late October.

OK, here's what I've mapped out. Is it good or bad? You tell me, please.

Leave Bridgewater MA on hwy104 to I495 and pick up I95. We will stay on I95 until we get to Milford CT. I can't be sure about Milford but that's what it looks like on the map.

From there it looks like hwy 15 to hwy 8 to either hwy 34 or I84, haven't quite decide yet.

I know we will probably hit traffic on I95 through CT but we may want to stop along the coast. Nothing's perfect.

We will continue west on I84 across the southern tip of New York and into Pennsylvania.

Once we get to PA we will take hwy 209 to I80 west to I476. We'll stay on I476 south to the I76.

At this point we may stay a day or so in the Philadelphia area and then go west on I76 to hwy 10.

South on hwy 10 into the Lancaster area for a day or two. From Lancaster we will take hwy 30 to York to I83.

I83 to I695 around Baltimore to I95 south to D.C. Pick up I495 to go around D.C. and then back to I95 into Virginia.

From there it will be I95 south to I40 and I40 all the way to California and home.

Please feel free to make any additions or corrections as you see fit. This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip and we are looking at two months to complete it. We have more time if necessary. There is no rush.

I appreciate any suggestions and I thank you for them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's not please tell me your suggestions. We have a 32' Class "A" gasser and we'll be pulling a ZR2 S10. I am not bothered by mountain driving because we have a lot of that here in California but I am trying to avoid New York City, Philadelphia and Baltimore. This trip will be in late October.

OK, here's what I've mapped out. Is it good or bad? You tell me, please.

Leave Bridgewater MA on hwy104 to I495 and pick up I95. We will stay on I95 until we get to Milford CT. I can't be sure about Milford but that's what it looks like on the map.

From there it looks like hwy 15 to hwy 8 to either hwy 34 or I84, haven't quite decide yet.

I know we will probably hit traffic on I95 through CT but we may want to stop along the coast. Nothing's perfect.

We will continue west on I84 across the southern tip of New York and into Pennsylvania.

Once we get to PA we will take hwy 209 to I80 west to I476. We'll stay on I476 south to the I76.

At this point we may stay a day or so in the Philadelphia area and then go west on I76 to hwy 10.

South on hwy 10 into the Lancaster area for a day or two. From Lancaster we will take hwy 30 to York to I83.

I83 to I695 around Baltimore to I95 south to D.C. Pick up I495 to go around D.C. and then back to I95 into Virginia.

From there it will be I95 south to I40 and I40 all the way to California and home.

Please feel free to make any additions or corrections as you see fit. This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip and we are looking at two months to complete it. We have more time if necessary. There is no rush.

I appreciate any suggestions and I thank you for them.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #3

skipsor, while on I 495 in MA you could go to MA Pike (I-90) and go to Exit 9 and pick up I-84 there. 84 through CT has less traffic than 95. Stay with your 695 route around Baltimore as you can not go through the Balt. Harbor Tunnel with Propane on board regardless of quanity or whether it is on or off. Assume that D.C. is on your list of must sees. After you leave D.C you can take I-64 over to I-81 which runs south through western VA and northeastern TN which is pretty country. I-81 runs right into I-40 just N of Knoxville. When you approach Knoxville on 40 be sure to take bypass around Knox. it is I believe I-640 or 840, in any event it is well marked. Coming south on 81 be sure to fuel up at southern end of VA at Flying J and There are also Flying J's 0n I-40 in TN in Knoxville, Nashville and West Memphis, AR. Have a good trip, Ken, '04 DSDP....
Old 03-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those look like good alternative routes. Our intention was to drive along the CT coast and visit Mystic and meaybe new London if the have any submarine exhibits there. There's a lot more research to be done on this trip.

The 64 to the 81 looks good. If we are running short on time, which shouldn't be a problem, that will shorten things up a bit.

If we do have time we'd like to go, possibly, to South Carolina and visit Charleston, but again that depends on time and more likely, money.

I appreciate the suggestions and will print our your recommendations just in case.

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #5

15 from Milford is a Parkway and doesn't allow anything but cars.You can stay on 95 to New Haven and take 91 to 84.If you want to see Mystic stay on 95.You can then take 395 up to Mass.
BOB
Old 04-01-2006, 03:00 AM   #6

We avoid N.Y. by taking 287 to the Tapanzee bridge then back down to 95 in White Plains N.Y.It' a little longer but faster cause of the traffic.
BOB
Old 04-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bldrbob, the Tapazee bridge has been getting a lot of votes so it looks like the way to go. Thanks for the heads up about 15. that could have goten real ugly.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you travel in NY to Connecticut, be aware of the "ARCH type Overpasses" The Right lanes have a height of abuot 9'6". Use the Left lanes, they are 13'3". They are well marked, but be carefull you don't get boxed in. Follow the big trucks.

Have a safe and fun trip.