Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Jackson-Hattiesburg-Mobile

We are contemplating a trip from the St Louis area to Destin, FL. The shortest route would take us on US 49 between Jackson and Hattiesburg, MS., and then US 98 to Mobile.
Will appreciate comment from anyone who has travelled this route recently. Thanks in advance.

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33RV | 2004 WH W20 Chassis | 2010 Honda CR-V Toad
USAF Ret June 1990 | 42 years continuous Active Duty
49 States | 10 Provinces | 50 years RVing
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i always take I-55 south from Jackson down to hammond La.
its a nice limited access drive with a few good rv friendly truck or gas stations
brookhaven there is a big station with easy right off the highway access

55 takes you back west slightly but its much safer than 49 which has many places large trucks just pull right out.

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Jgriff, The 49-98 route you mentioned is a very good divided 4 lane. Best fuel stop is in D'Lo, MS. It's on the right traveling South. We've done this road many times in a 40' DP with toad.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
j griff,
I've run the route several times in my POV and MH. Unless you're just dying to see downtown Hattiesburg, pick up I-59 on the north side of Hattiesburg and take it to the south side where you'll get off on US 98. Try not to be bored to death on US 98 from Hattiesburg to the Alabama line. It's very good 4 lane divided highway all the to the line. 98 between the line and I-65 is good road, mostly four lane undivided. In Mobile take I-65 down to I-10 eastbound. You really don't want to go downtown Mobile in your MH. It will be a good trip, Enjoy!

Where are you staying in Destin? Henderson Beach SP is nice. Rates are good but no sewer hook-ups. Topsail Hill SP is outstanding with full amenities (cable, w/e 50a/s) but is more pricey. Both state parks have beach access. Suggest if you're planning on staying in either one, make reservations now.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
Well, the many times that I've driven from Jackson to Mobile, I pick up US49S just east of Jackson off I-20. I take it all the way to I-10 in Gulfport then head East to Mobile. It's not the fastest way, maybe, but it is a pleasant drive and the road is great.
Incidentally, this all driven in a MH (38') with a toad.

J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote