Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
jacksonville fl to keene nh

what is the best rte to go from Jacksonville fl to keene nh ? without tolls preferably then were headed to the white mtns seems last time i went i ended up hitting 1 toll in conn would like to bypass if able i cant seem to remember how i got the old rte either ! lol thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Hi fxdave;
I suggest I-95 north to I-16 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84. No tolls and a lot less traffic. More camping stops. There are no more tolls in CT. anymore but the road conditions reflect that. The less you drive on I-95 the happier you will be.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Hi fxdave;
I suggest I-95 north to I-16 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84. No tolls and a lot less traffic. More camping stops. There are no more tolls in CT. anymore but the road conditions reflect that. The less you drive on I-95 the happier you will be.
Should read I-26 instead of I-16.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Should read I-26 instead of I-16.
We took that route earlier this year from Daytona. Roads very good except for I-84, the first part of it had a lot of 'hard hitting' joints. There is one toll in NY on I-84. You will probably want to pickup the Mass Pike, I-90 also a toll but not too bad, over to I-290 and then I-495. Then you have an option of US-3, 2 tolls and great road, or I-93 with 1 toll (after US-3) merges with it.

Bob
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
We use I-95 to Rt 17 Fredricksburg to I-66 to I-81 to I-84 then your choice I-91 or up to Boston and on to the White Mtns one toll on I-84 at the bridge in Beacon, NY. Have a safe trip
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are gong to hit Interstate Highways all the way, the choices given will get you there. The tolls you will incur will be when you cross out of NY on I-84 into Mass. Taking I-84 you will not have to use the Mass. Toll Rd, although it is not that bad and the price is reasonable for the short distance you will go. Using I-84 You may want to take I-91, but it doesn't go to Boston, It will take you due North until you pick up NH-10 into Keene.

Are you in a hurry? If not, you may want to consider some alternative US Road routes. We just recently completed 4000+ miles and avoided the Interstates as much as possible. We were on some pretty nice roads. Yes, there are some stop and go towns, but to me that is just a break from the monotony of driving. My family lives in Central Mass and we have taken that trip "up North," a few times. One of my favorite drives is through the Delaware Water Gap (US-209) to I-84.

We definitely avoid I-95 from South of Richmond to North of NYC. I'm used to Houston driving so I'm not afraid of traffic, but that stretch of road will tire you out, and you do need a co-pilot navigator unless you have made the trip a few times in that direction. Some of the traffic delays can really get on your nerves, just not knowing why it is stopped and how long you will have to sit there.

If you need to go through any big major areas like that, try to plan on doing it on a Sunday, if you can - much less traffic and no rush hour traffic.

When we returned a few weeks ago, we came through Houston on a Sunday. We flew through except in one area that I knew we would have a short 5 minute slowdown. If I had wanted to I could have taken Hwy 146 out of Lufkin and avoided traffic altogether. Texas has some good roads, as do many of the other states. The US-Routes are federal funded and seem to be in better shape than some of the other secondary side roads, but all-in-all, we had some very good luck with roads on our last trip.

Enjoy, sight-see, take your time and see all the scenery.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

"Hi fxdave;
I suggest I-95 north to I-16 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84. No tolls and a lot less traffic. More camping stops. There are no more tolls in CT. anymore but the road conditions reflect that. The less you drive on I-95 the happier you will be."

Could not agree more with this post. This is the route we always take when we hightail it in and out of New England with one exception. We jump on 87 from 84 in NY. (a toll Rd) then the Mass pike (Rt90) just south of Albany. Never any traffic crossing the Hudson no extra bridge toll and avoids Ct altogether 84 is terrible in Hartford and points south. The western part of the Pike is a nice and a beautiful ride. Then you can take 91 just before Springfield. It may be longer mile wise but have never hit any stop and go traffic much more relaxing drive.
Two-R-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-R-One View Post
"Hi fxdave;
I suggest I-95 north to I-16 to I-77 to I-81 to I-84. No tolls and a lot less traffic. More camping stops. There are no more tolls in CT. anymore but the road conditions reflect that. The less you drive on I-95 the happier you will be."

Could not agree more with this post. This is the route we always take when we hightail it in and out of New England with one exception. We jump on 87 from 84 in NY. (a toll Rd) then the Mass pike (Rt90) just south of Albany. Never any traffic crossing the Hudson no extra bridge toll and avoids Ct altogether 84 is terrible in Hartford and points south. The western part of the Pike is a nice and a beautiful ride. Then you can take 91 just before Springfield. It may be longer mile wise but have never hit any stop and go traffic much more relaxing drive.
your talking 26 not 16 correct ?