Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
KIX

AS of today (9/30) Southbound there is some construction as soon as you cross the St. Johns River bridge or I 95. Stay in middle lane and you'll be all good. It's only about a mile or two.
If yo take the East side beltway (I 295) watch the overhead signs carefully after you pass Baymeadows Rd. exit as the left two lanes are now open and will take you to Nocatee / St. Augustine while the right lanes will take you back to the I 95 South interchange. You'll want to stay int he right lanes.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #16

We always use the West By-Pass, it is a nice road, traffic seems to move right along, and I do not like city driving...
Have fun
Bill

Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

I always go through Jacksonville, but don't normally do so during rush hour(s). I've been on both beltways and both are fine. I find the east side one to be pretty busy during rush hour(s).

I have taken the Richmond by-pass only once and I've driven through Richmond many times. The beltway was one of the roughest roads I've been on in a while.

DC, well no one drives through DC. It really depends on where you are coming from. I drove the DC area for nearly 20 years. It's not bad, it's the construction areas that can be a challenge. Too often the temporary concrete barriers are placed too close to the road and some of the temporary zig-zags are to tight for side-by-side large vehicles.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #18

We normally take the bypass, but last month decided to go straight thru... not a problem, and will do that in the future
Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip0 View Post
I just did that run round trip from NY to Orlando in Aug. I have a 35' MH with a tow dolly so I am 65" total. Went straight through I95 at midday Fri. Had no issues light traffic.

"BPoland"
Are there ant tolls on 301? How about the bridge you cross. Also what is the road like, traffic lights, conditions etc..

Thanks
I Unfortunately did not use the 301 bypass route on my way home, which is one of the reasons I can speak first hand about the backups between Richmond and the DC beltway. It added about 90 mins to our trip, for no seen reason. There is a rather high bridge on 301 that is a single lane bridge with no shoulders to speak of . With a brand new coach, and a limited time behind the wheel of a coach, I talked myself out of taking the 301 route. I will not make that mistake again. I'm sure others will join in about any tolls, but I don't remember any, the last time I took that route (15 years ago).
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I travel around Richmond it is via 295 (east spur). If you run straight down 95 through Richmond it is 45.7 miles and 44 minutes. If you travel around via 295 (east spur) it is 48.4 miles and 44 minutes to the exact same points. Difference is there is always traffic and quite a mess through Richmond on 95 and the wrap around on 295 is always smooth, no traffic or congestion. I am not sure why anyone would stay on 95 through Richmond and deal with the traffic, congestion, flyovers, narrow lanes, etc.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #21

I did the 295 bypass at the end of August, on a Sunday afternoon. I will be using 301, from now on. The Harry Nice bridge doesn't scare me, now that I know how my coach handles in traffic (18 wheelers). That's not to say that it won't elevate the blood pressure a bit. Something about an oncoming 18 wheeler doing close to 60 in the next lane , will wake anybody up. I'll take any extra time that 301 takes me, for a more enjoyable drive! Out of the 1,150 miles I drove from Fort Myers FL to Baltimore, the 10 mile stretch around the "House of the Mouse" in Orlando, and the 295 bypass around Richmond, were by far, the worst sections.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip0 View Post
"BPoland"
Are there ant tolls on 301? How about the bridge you cross. Also what is the road like, traffic lights, conditions etc..Thanks
On 50/301, going west from the eastern shore of MD over to Annapolis, the bridge is NOT tolled - only EB traffic is. From that point south, so far as I remember, there are no tolls whatsoever on 301. There is about 10-20 miles or so worth of stop-n-go around the Waldorf / La Plata area, directly south of DC, after you branch off US 50 west of Annapolis. Once past that, and over the Potomac, it's eazy-peazy down through Fort A P Hill, past Richmond, and as far south as you want to go. Most people heading south grab I-95 again around the VA/NC border, but you can go farther south on it. During my numerous trips south in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00's, we sometimes stayed on 301 just to break the monotony of I-95. It is for the most part a nice alternative, just be aware that you'll pass through some small towns here and there.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddy View Post
Thanks all.
You gave me the information I was looking for.
As for Washington DC... I'm very familiar with that problem.
Going south, I plan to hit 495 around 3 am so will be as little traffic problem as possible. Hope to get south of Richmond via 295 by 6:30 or 7am
Not sure what I'll do coming back yet.
Ed

Something you might consider for your return is crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and up the eastern shore. There is a big parking lot on the north side of the bridge that's a great overnight stop.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
On 50/301, going west from the eastern shore of MD over to Annapolis, the bridge is NOT tolled - only EB traffic is. From that point south, so far as I remember, there are no tolls whatsoever on 301. There is about 10-20 miles or so worth of stop-n-go around the Waldorf / La Plata area, directly south of DC, after you branch off US 50 west of Annapolis. Once past that, and over the Potomac, it's eazy-peazy down through Fort A P Hill, past Richmond, and as far south as you want to go. Most people heading south grab I-95 again around the VA/NC border, but you can go farther south on it. During my numerous trips south in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00's, we sometimes stayed on 301 just to break the monotony of I-95. It is for the most part a nice alternative, just be aware that you'll pass through some small towns here and there.

Thanks for the info, I am going down in December so I will check it out.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddy View Post
Thanks all.
You gave me the information I was looking for.
As for Washington DC... I'm very familiar with that problem.
Going south, I plan to hit 495 around 3 am so will be as little traffic problem as possible. Hope to get south of Richmond via 295 by 6:30 or 7am
Not sure what I'll do coming back yet.
Ed

We can drive 295. Thought that wasn't to be done. I know that trucks can't
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I did the 295 bypass at the end of August, on a Sunday afternoon. I will be using 301, from now on. The Harry Nice bridge doesn't scare me, now that I know how my coach handles in traffic (18 wheelers). That's not to say that it won't elevate the blood pressure a bit. Something about an oncoming 18 wheeler doing close to 60 in the next lane , will wake anybody up. I'll take any extra time that 301 takes me, for a more enjoyable drive! Out of the 1,150 miles I drove from Fort Myers FL to Baltimore, the 10 mile stretch around the "House of the Mouse" in Orlando, and the 295 bypass around Richmond, were by far, the worst sections.

Also when are you heading down we are heading down mid February ourselves
Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #27

We drive straight thru. We try to avoid rush hour but otherwise, traffic flows just fine. We are towing a 37 ft 5th wheel.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #28

I always stay on 95, every yr when going to Daytona with 45 & tow. The key is to time when u get there, both 95 & 295 can be slow in peak traffic times.

Tags
jacks