Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jasper to yellowstone

Next August we plan leaving Dallas, straight to Jasper then work our way back thru Banff, Glacier Nat Pk then Yellowstone. Plan is 8 week trip
Should we add Bad Lands and subtract Jasper? What are your views on what to include with only 8 weeks to do it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

It depends on what sort of scenery you like. The road from Jasper to Banff is called the icefields parkway, and is spectacular. The Badlands is also interesting and is more sculpted sandstone. We have been to both places, and returning to Banff & Jasper would be our first choice.

If you go to glacier, try to save some time for Waterton park; on the Canadian side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
Next August we plan leaving Dallas, straight to Jasper then work our way back thru Banff, Glacier Nat Pk then Yellowstone. Plan is 8 week trip
Should we add Bad Lands and subtract Jasper? What are your views on what to include with only 8 weeks to do it.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

If you spend a couple of days in Jasper there are some very scenic areas to check out plus a great chance to see wildlife.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

There are badlands and dinosaur fossil parks in Canada ... they are located near Drumheller ... not too far from Calgary ... we visited there in 1999 ... as I recall there are electric sites in one of their provincial parks.

If you go to Jasper make sure you drive your toad to Maligne (sp?) Lake and take the boat ride ... it is quite spectacular

We had an electric site in Jasper Provincial Park ... there were lots of elk in the campground.

There is intersting camping arrangements at Tunnel Mt. Campground near Banff ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

I live in Alberta, it's very easy to do both if you really want. Banff to Drumheller is about a 3 hour drive and then continue from there to Waterton/Glacier on Hwy 2. Get ready for lots of wind in Waterton. As mentioned Hwy 93 is absolutely gorgeous... Spend some time on it without the RV.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Steve,

The Icefields Parkway is an absolutely incredible drive, right up through the heart of the Canadian Rockies. Nonstop unbelievable scenery. Keep your windshield clean and have the DW take pictures. I was surprised at how nice some of the pictures my DW took came out. A toad is a must, most of the turnoffs are too small for a rig and toad. We doubled back the next day and drove it again with the toad and could stop at a lot more places. The 1 day passes are good for 24 hours, so as long as you get back in early the next day your good. In Jasper, take the tramway and then hike to the top. You will feel like you are on top of the world (I guess in a way you are).

To answer your question on the Badlands NP. Yes I would do it, we have yet to go to an NP anywhere that was not worth visiting. They make places like them NP's for a reason. The Badlands can be seen with a two or three night stay. We stayed 3 and had time to hike most of the shorter trails, but did not explore the southern part of the park.

BUT, this area of the US has tons of stuff and is worth a trip all by itself. Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower NM, Deadwood, Jewel Cave NM, Custer SP, Bear Butte SP and on and on it goes.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2499.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	17160   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2580.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	17161  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2536.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	17162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	17163  

Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

Jasper to Banff highway, definitely. Icefields tour may be of interest.

Leaving Banff take #1 east to the Kananskis Country, then #40, 541 and 22. Check out the Kananskis Lodge and perhaps the golf course.

More great scenery on 507 into Pincher Creek.

It can blow in Waterton but definitely worth the stop. Seems we always have seen more wildlife in Waterton than on the Icefields highway.

On the US side take a day trip with the toad over Logan Pass in Glacier Park. The spectacular pass has a vehicle length limitation. On the south side have lunch at the lodge.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

The vehicle length limit is 21 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
...On the US side take a day trip with the toad over Logan Pass in Glacier Park. The spectacular pass has a vehicle length limitation. On the south side have lunch at the lodge.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I love both places but I would do Jasper and make sure you take the bus tour that takes you onto the Columbia Icefield.

Since you live in TX, making another trip to see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore is more likely than getting up to Jasper again.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Brisbane Australia
The coach lives at NIRC Fort Worth. We do 2 x8 week trips to USA. We are getting excited about this years trips.
Please keep the info coming I'm adding it all to our itinerary. All your help is invaluable to us Aussies who don't have the benefit of local knowledge.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Heck if you're coming from down under, then do BOTH!

Jasper, Banff (do Moraine Lake too, not just Lake Louise), Glacier, Yellowstone and then head east to hit Cody in WY, Devils Tower, and finally into the Black Hills for Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. Near the Badlands you can also see a nuke missle silo and go into the underground launch bunker.

Here are some of our pics from last summer:

Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I want to do glacier national park as well
I'll investigate your plan
Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I did not forget Glacier! As a previous post said, you will need a toad to drive Going to the Sun road. The other option is to take one of the many driving tours which will give you a great narration of the road and you can take pictures vs. driving safely!

My Mappoint software optimzes stops so the route it suggest looks something like this:

I would probably do the route in reverse and hit SD first. That way, if you find you have extra time, you can venture into UT (Salt Lake City, Arches NP) and western CO (Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, Durango).

With 8 weeks, you definitely have time to see it all. Some other stops along the route:
- Amarillo, TX - eat a 72-oz steak with all the trimmings and its FREE!
- cut over to Colorado Springs, CO and take the cog railway up to Pikes Peak
- Lander, WY - great old West town
- Teton National Park right below Yellowstone (visit Jackson, WY)
- July 1 is Canada Day. Parades and such.
- July 4 is US Independence Day. Fireworks!
- We stayed in Canmore, AB when we did Banff and Jasper
- Crazy Horse and Needles Highway when seeing Mt. Rushmore and Badlands
- Wall Drug, SD - the biggest, best drug store you will ever see (FREE water)
- Hot Springs, SD has a wooley mammouth dig site

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest problem that I have is with going to all of the parks on the same trip is day after day it soon becomes apparent that what you will see today is another pretty rock! I would not want to miss seeing most of them but overkill soon means that you would be tempted to only give them a cursory glance where they may be best appreciated with a longer look. So, allow some time for a stop in Edmonton for a visit to the worlds largest Mall, or schedule a visit to Calgary during the Rodeo. I believe Cheyenne, WY as a very popular Rodeo as well. Even Dodge City KS has something to see glorifying the old west and Boot Hill! Minden Nebraska has a rather large privately owned museum that could take a couple of days to see it all.
Enjoy the trip it is a good choice!