Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #29
Appalachian Campers
Monocoach, why are you so defensive? Are you guilty of this? You could at least walk to the edge of the grass to dump your gallon of pizz! Nasty no matter what excuse you make

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #30

Originally Posted by nctox View Post
To the OP, I have experienced that urine smell at one particular rest area a few times. We pass by this rest area at the GA SC state line on I85, where we get off the interstate going home from most of our trips. We noticed the smell on more than one occasion. During the hot summer the first truck parking slots (farthest from the restrooms) do give off quite an unpleasant aroma. We now try to park at the other end of the truck parking area.
I don't recall ever noticing this smell at other rest areas.
Given that we've stayed overnight in just two rest areas, the northbound stop at the GA/SC line was the first one. Asked permission from the guard, then proceeded to park in one of the first truck slots (most level). I guess we were lucky, but didn't smell anything outside of the coach.

Heck, I've walked into peoples' homes that sometimes smelled awful if they had dogs/no ventilation, and were general pigs (insurance claims know no socio/economic boundaries)

I'll also admit to losing my sense of smell with age. Maybe it's not all that bad?

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #31
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Monocoach, why are you so defensive? Are you guilty of this? You could at least walk to the edge of the grass to dump your gallon of pizz! Nasty no matter what excuse you make
I don't fill jugs but definitely a cup overnight and are you seriously suggesting that I get dressed and walk it over to the grass? I think the grass gets enough from the doggies. Am I getting defensive ? Ya a little and if the next post calls me a pig, whatever*im sure we can keep it lite. After all we are only talking about pee not nuclear waste
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I knew I was different, but not that different. We have never been outside the rig at a rest stop. Eat our meal, use OUR facilities, then on our way.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #33
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
My dogs don't pee in the parking lot, especially in the summer. They have a designated area marked PETS. Maybe the truckers need their own area too...

Or maybe we should all just do as we damn please.

You were just kidding, right?
I wasnt kidding but I know the smell the op is referring to and its not likely to be from the truckers. I occasionally smell that odor in the summer and it always comes from a green space. If someone googles it they may find the source.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #34
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just can't stand the rest stops along

In three years we have crossed the country four times, and run the east coast between New England and the Carolinas three times. I cannot recall EVER encountering this problem.

What I do consistently recall at rest areas all across the land, while stretching my legs or sitting and eating lunch either in the coach or at a picnic table, is seeing a constant stream of truckers arrive, walk into the rest room, walk around their truck, and leave. 5-10 minutes max, in and out; or perhaps a 20 minute nap.

And of course, at a truck stop I smell diesel fuel and oil and grease drippings, but I would consider that normal. I actually like that- sort of like the smell of kerosene at an airport.

Robert, I offer my sympathies for your ability to find and frequent the stinkiest of stopping points!
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #35
I often notice the unmistakable odour of urine at rest areas, however, since dogs aren't allowed in the rest rooms I'm sorry, but Deputy Dog will have to continue lifting his leg around the back of the truck / RV lanes.

My apologies, but it's not really optional.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote