Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Kentucky Bourbon Trail

Has anyone done this trip ? My wife and I are looking to get the coach out for a short two or three day trip. Someone told me leave the tow car at home and travel with just the coach. We have a 36 ft Country Coach , my concern is parking . We understand the drive is beautiful and lots to see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did part of it when we stayed at a campground in Frankfort a couple years back. I found I loved the smell of the bourbon in the air (you can smell it when you pull into the distillery parking lots - they call it the angel's share), just not the taste....unless it was in candy...Bourbon Truffles=YUM!!!

Although the parking lots at the distilleries we went to have room for tour busses, you can be navigating city streets/city traffic to get to some of them. In unfamiliar territory, where you might miss a turn, using a car is preferrable to a motorhome. Besides, they are all within an hour's radius of each other. Not worth the hassle of maneuvering with a motorhome, IMO.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

One of the worst drunks I ever had!
goforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been there and done some of them. I t hink the best one to go to first is Buffalo Trace
distillery between Louisville and Franklin on I64. Best tour. Good samples at end of tour. Went to Wild Turkey, Lady didn't say much and gave us a label, didn't taste good. Went to another one but can't remember its name, it was closing. Got a few more to hit the next time I'm in Ky.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Taylor Jr. View Post
... I think the best one to go to first is Buffalo Trace...
Agreed. They had the best pre-tour video. At the after tour taste, they give root beer for the kids so they aren't left out of the tasting.

Oh & re: the candy I mentioned prior, go to Rebecca Ruth's in downtown Frankfort. It looks like a house, but is a candy factory & showroom. Besides the normal bourbon balls, they've got a sampler box with several liquor candies in it. Old Kentucky Chocolates in Lexington has the yummy Bourbon truffles & great Bourbon soaked chocolate covered cherries.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

If this trip also includes a trip to MAKERS MARK, I'd take the toad. Although they get their trucks in and out it's narrow and curvey. Parking lot can accomodate a RV. Very nice tour & way out in the country.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #7

For whatever reason, Buffalo Trace has recently dropped out of the official bourbon tour. However, it's still a very good tour; we took some Indiana friends there last year. Another good tour is Woodford Reserve in Versailles, KY. More of a slick presentation and visitor center than Buffalo Trace, but well worth the short drive from Frankfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Agreed. They had the best pre-tour video. At the after tour taste, they give root beer for the kids so they aren't left out of the tasting.

Oh & re: the candy I mentioned prior, go to Rebecca Ruth's in downtown Frankfort. It looks like a house, but is a candy factory & showroom. Besides the normal bourbon balls, they've got a sampler box with several liquor candies in it. Old Kentucky Chocolates in Lexington has the yummy Bourbon truffles & great Bourbon soaked chocolate covered cherries.

Lori-

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote