Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Kerrville TX To Ruidoso NM, route or stop recommendations?

Route suggestions?

Longest road trip yet in our new-to-us motorhome. In two weeks we're going from Kerrville TX to Ruidoso NM to stay at Bonito Hollow RV Park for a week and play around Ruidoso. We're going to take it easy on the way out and run it in 2 days and I'd like a route that is easy driving and never too far away from civilization and the "tools of life".

Google is routing us (I-10, US-285, US-380, heading West thru Ft Stockton and then North up into Carlsbad). That route looks pretty desolate, is it? Google is also saying that two other routes are only a little bit longer (like 15 min) and they look a little less "out there". We dont drive 70-80 MPH like I-10 allows, so a road where you can only go 65 is fine with us as long as it's good road. The other two routes are (I-10, TX-137, US-380 which is more Northerly first, then West at Brownfield) and (I-10, TX-137, US-67, TX-329, US-385, US-380, a parallel Northerly route but thru Odessa).

Any recommendations on the route selection for which is the least "out there"? Or maybe is there anything along any of those routes you'd recommend we go see or stop for? (Already seen Carlsbad Caverns BTW).

We think we will be trying to shoot all the way back in one day, so if we went one way out and another way back we should reserve the easiest drive for the way back.

Thanks for any ideas!!

MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

In July I took 83? north out of Junction, thru Eden to San Angelo, Big Spring, La Mesa and north from there. Looks like you could head west at La Mesa or Brownfield. IF I remember correctly it was reasonably good Texas highways - some two lane and sopme four lanes. I kind of prefer being off the interstates if practical.
Safe Travels
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

Thanks Bob..or Sandi? It's funny about Google maps..it didnt recommend your route but when I changed it to that route it actually is way more direct and even shorter than any of the other ones..plus since it isnt on I-10 very long (where I wont be driving as close to the speed limit) I bet it is shorter time wise for us too...I know some people in San Angelo we could meet for dinner too! Thanks for the suggestion, I think we'll take that route.
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #4

You are welcome, I so hope the route works out well for you.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A nice place to stop is Fort Davis. Yes it is a little ways off of I10 but has the Davis Mountains campground which is a state owned campground so low rates. Also in Fort Davis is the old Fort Davis which has been restored. While you are in the area you could also take a trip up to the McDonald Observatory and travel over to Marfa to see the Marfa Lights if the ae visible. Great county!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote