Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
L.A. to Seattle ... Best route

If you were going to travel north from Los Angeles to Seattle, would you travel up Hwy 101 or Hwy 1 in California? Why?

CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

You choose beautiful or boring?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #3

Travel up coast

Hwy 1 is beautiful but slow.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeezer View Post
If you were going to travel north from Los Angeles to Seattle, would you travel up Hwy 101 or Hwy 1 in California? Why?
Coastal for scenic and leisurely travel. Are you in a hurry, or do you have a specific timetable to get there?

No need to hurry, it'll still be raining whenever you get to Seattle!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

L.A. to Seattle

There are sections of Hwy 1 that I wouldn't recommend for an RV. North of Cambria and south of Monterey has some "white knuckle" areas where you won't get to enjoy the view because the road is very narrow and windy and few if any places to pull over to allow car traffic to pass. Even if you enjoy the drive the cars behind you won't. North of San Francisco it can also be a bit scary. Through San Francisco, no road is easy. The 101 becomes coastal north of Eureka and from there, is good road, spectacular views you can enjoy.

We do this drive almost every summer. Last summer we made the mistake of diving over the Golden Gate Bridge, easy and a great view until you get to the toll plaza (tight) and then have to drive through town to get back to the freeway (we were headed south). It's a fabulous drive. Gorgeous. We take 101 all the way.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, so if we took Hwy 1 from Santa Monia (our actual starting point) to Oxnard, then got on 101 all the way through San Fansico, stayed on it all the way to I5 (near Eugene OR) then onward north to Seattle we would be in good shape?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Personally -- and I may be a bit jaded as a California native -- I'd suggest taking the 5 up to the Bay Area, then cutting over at the 580 and then taking yourself to the 101 north of the Golden Gate. There's going to be so much beauty on the 101 as you traverse Northern California and Oregon that you won't feel cheated, and the drive itself will be hours shorter (realistically, you can drive from Santa Monica to Vallejo/Novato/whatnot are in a single day).

Steve
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Ok, so if we took Hwy 1 from Santa Monia (our actual starting point) to Oxnard, then got on 101 all the way through San Fansico, stayed on it all the way to I5 (near Eugene OR) then onward north to Seattle we would be in good shape?

Yes, but, as SteveLevin suggests, I'd get back on the 101 just north of San Francisco. The Northern California and Southern Oregon coastlines are not to be missed.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

If you go all the way to Astoria, I'd suggest crossing into Washington and heading towards I-5 at Olympia. Going to Portland from Astoria puts a lot of southwards travel along the south bank of the Columbia. Another option is to head off 101 and go east from Lincoln City through McMinnville to I-5/205 just south of Portland. 205 is a better route into WA than going right through downtown Portland on I-5.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Are you doing a round trip? If so taking 101 south is a better option because most of the view points will be easier to get in and out of.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If you go through San Francisco...study the city map and know what streets you will be turning on so you will be in the correct lane.

Great fun driving through San Francisco. I've always thought it would be fun being a bus driver there. Pay attention to the buses, try to find one that isn't all banged up on the bumpers and sides where they've hit cars.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Are you doing a round trip? If so taking 101 south is a better option because most of the view points will be easier to get in and out of.

Nope, it's a one shot one way deal.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #13

Well, I hope have a safe trip no matter which route.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

I'd take 395 north. You won't find a more beautiful drive with no traffic and lots of places to check out.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote