Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Lancaster pa to outer banks nc

We are traveling from the lancaster area headed down to the outer banks nc. We plan on leaving saturday may 25 around 9:30 pm and driving all night to get there. Not the ideal way to travel but with the kids being young they will sleep all night (hopefully) and be awake when we arrive.

Is there anyone that will be traveling the same way that would want to meet along the way? We are not going to try and set any roads on fire as we are in no big hurry to get there. We will be arriving about 5 hours before check in (according to google maps). Im also planning on stopping a few times just to get out and stretch my legs, give the equipment a break, and probably fuel up. I found that it doesn't feel so bad you put $75-$100 to top off than $200+ to fill up.

I think that we are going to go through the cbbt and was wondering if anyone else was through that way with a class a motorhome we will be towing a trailer and will be about 53' total length. Is there any restrictions through the tunnel or should I try and find another route? Thanks for all your experience on this one
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would take the CBBT also. The only restriction is you must turn off the propane.

Also if the winds are too high, they won't let you cross.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

There is tons of traffic in the Tidewater area and transiting to the Outer Banks. The road to the Outer Banks is also a toll road. The CCBT is 4 lanes with the exception of the tunnels. Only problem besides price is if there is wind restrictions, Both the toll road and the CBBT take EZ Pass.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

What does the wind have anything to do with driving through a tunnel? I have never took that route before. Is there a place to pull off, do you have to be inspected before entering, and if the wind is to great is there another way around or will someone let us know when its ok to go?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

[QUOTE="jpharley;1435785"]There is tons of traffic in the Tidewater area and transiting to the Outer Banks. The road to the Outer Banks is also a toll road. The CCBT is 4 lanes with the exception of the tunnels. Only problem besides price is if there is wind restrictions, Both the toll road and the CBBT take EZ Pass.[/QUOTE

Do they allow you through the tunnel with a mh? How much are the tolls? I'm hopping that there isn't a lot of traffic at the time I will be coming through (another plus for traveling at night).
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The CBBT is 17 miles long and only 2 miles are tunnels.

It's the 15 miles of bridges where the wind can be a problem.

All RVs are permitted.

The closest way around is RT 50/301 at Annapolis, but there are bridges there also.

http://www.cbbt.com/

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

There is always lots of traffic in the Tidewater area and you are talking about the start of the tourist season. Not sure how much the tolls are. It will depend on your axles. The toll to the Outer Banks will not be much but the toll at the CBBT will be at least $20 and my guess it will be more. I think it is $15 Just for a car. When you get off the CBBT, you are going to have to get on I-64 towards Chesapeake to get to your exit for the Outer Banks. The interstate had been greatly improved in the last couple of years so traffic may not be much of a problem at night.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

I think last time I was in the ob I took 95 and stayed more inland. Since we are picking up my dad and step mom outside of lancaster Im not sure whats the best way to go. I think I will follow google maps/gps and hope for the best with traffic. I did forget that we are leaving at the start of the holiday travel season.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #9

If you stay on I-95, you will get off in Emporia onto US 58 and head towards Chesapeake for your exit to the Outer Banks. US 58 will turn into I-64. You will still have the toll in Virginia for the route to the Outer Banks but that will not be much. At that time of night, you can drive right through Richmond, VA with no issues. There is RV parking available for a break in Emporia next to the Hardee's I think. Also a Wal-Mart there and of course fuel stations. Just watch your speed on US 58 as strictly enforced 55 mph. Emporia funds their local govt. with traffic enforcement.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

I didn't plan on driving over 55 anyway just to save fuel. Im not getting in any hurry because I'm leaving with more than enough time to get there so I'm going to enjoy the drive. The only reason I'm leaving so early/ late is because my kids will be sleeping (hopefully) most of the way. I am looking forward to this trip and I just hope that it comes off without a hitch.