Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When driving the Jeep, I would either be in front of, or at least following behind Plasma800, using whatever lane was open. However, when traveling in the RV, it already has such a large target on it saying "hurry up and cut me off", I have finally realized it is just simpler, and less stressful to file in behind the other slower vehicles. Recently, while attending a large musical presentation at my brother's church in Texas, my DW noticed as the large crowd we were walking in approached the entryway to the church, almost every single person was kind, polite, and held the doors open, and let others into the church first. She said, WOW, it sure would be great if all the drivers treated others like we were going to church! I love my wife!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
i don't do 90mph to the merge point just so i can "beat those others stupid drivers" - but if I put on my blinker and no one moves to let me in, and I keep rolling forward looking for a spot, and i get to the merge point and have to squeeze in, I have no problem with this.

I'm not discourteous about it or rude or viscously "out to get you" - i just don't feel bad about it when it happens - and you shouldn't either. If you want sit a mile back, go for it - sometimes I do that too. Sometimes I use the traffic jam to go to the bathroom.

Conversely I also don't feel bad when I merge early and someone else runs up to the merge point - EVEN IF they are discourteously trying to beat me to the traffic jam. This is just not a subject that deserves enough vehemency to raise anyones blood pressure.

Also, no matter WHERE the merge point is, be it 1 mile back by choice or 10 feet, the flow will remain almost the same. It's similar to pushing water into a smaller water hose, it doesn't matter where the molecule enters, all must enter at some point slowing a molecule behind it. Regardless, room for all vehicles must be made by opening points and adding new points on the end, opening end points there - it's gonna happen somewhere and traffic will simply flow as it flows.

Besides, you got someplace to be? I know I don't
Really?!? Isn't life too short for most of us to get so all fired up over something so trivial? Plasma800, you got my vote!

This reminds me of the inconsiderate people that drive exactly the speed limit (or slower) in the fast lane and refuse to pull over cos they feel they have the "right" to stay in whatever lane they want. Can't you just feel their smug judgmental attitudes as others are forced to pass them in the slow lane? Same thing for the early mergers.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I merge as soon as possible after seeing the merge ahead or lane closed sign so I don't get caught not having a smooth merge. When I watch my mirrors and see people pulling out of the merge lane and try to crowd in at the merge point ahead I have no sympathy for them when they get stopped. Just because we are bigger than everyone doesn't give us the right to force our way in.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #18

This a real frustration.

But I have driven all over Italy and while they have some crazy driving, in this situation, drivers move over at first sign and have never seen a single case where people waited to last minute to jump in. It sure makes it easy and they have lots of construction especially in mountain areas.

Southern California
Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
The recommended method is known as Zipper Merge, which is basically merging late. Here are some links for those that might be interested:

Zipper Merge
The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder | Ars Technica
The Zipper Merge: Convincing Motorists Isn't a Snap - KickingTires
Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #20

Of course I always slow down and make plenty of room for last minute mergers. I want those drivers ahead of me not behind me where I can't watch their other driving manuevers. Same way with the drunk drivers. I want them ahead where I can watch them.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Yer highway authorities just *love* the numpties that pull in a mile before the merge point and push the traffic jam back another mile, causing hold ups on the feeder roads thus causing even more traffic chaos on more of the surrounding routes too. Zip merging as someone said, it's the way to go. In fact over here most lane closures tell you to "merge in turn" they even have a little diagram for the hard of thinking.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #22

I, and other trucks I've watched, will straddle the middle line a little ways from the merge and keep those others in line as they showed up.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
Yer highway authorities just *love* the numpties that pull in a mile before the merge point and push the traffic jam back another mile, causing hold ups on the feeder roads thus causing even more traffic chaos on more of the surrounding routes too. Zip merging as someone said, it's the way to go. In fact over here most lane closures tell you to "merge in turn" they even have a little diagram for the hard of thinking.
Sounds like you're from across the pond. I have seen signs like these at some construction zones and people still can't do it correctly.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The recommended method is known as Zipper Merge, which is basically merging late. Here are some links for those that might be interested:

Zipper Merge
The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder | Ars Technica
The Zipper Merge: Convincing Motorists Isn't a Snap - KickingTires
Sorry BobGed, but read all the articles and it is classic "theoretical engineering" versus reality, where reality always prevails. The Zipper Merge technique looks good on paper, but does not take into account the human factor. The technique ASSUMES, and, in fact, TOTALLY RELIES on, drivers adhering faithfully and exactly to diminishing speed limits and then participating in the alternating "zipper teeth" merging situation. I do whole heartedly agree that if EVERYONE would adhere to the principles of Zipper Merging that it might improve things. That being said, everyone knows it only takes one tooth in a zipper to make the whole zipper useless.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #25

Lane closures - Merging

I agree with the grievances, but...
If there aint no cop directing traffic it will always be a ratsnest, with Beavis and Butthead trying to wrangle another 15 feet of highway.

You can pound your fists until they turn pink, curse until your face is purple, and blast your Hadleys until your ears ring, but the chances of permanently changing this is, IMHO, nada.

Feeling better by venting might help, but expecting such dweebs and tolerating them makes the day go much better.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 10-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lane open = use
Lane not open = don't use
-
-
-
-
end text
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #27

Some people just love to butt in line, to get ahead of the next guy. See it all the time, in all kinds of situations. When I am driving the motorhome, I just take my time and ignore them. I am in no hurry and it is kinda nice not having to worry about some idiot ruining my day. Gotta admit, I do smile when an 18 wheeler just crawls along in that merge lane, keeping everybody else behind him.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
some people may get nervous and like to merge early. That is their choice. You are suppose to use both lanes to the merge point and then one car from each lane merge one after the other forming one lane. I will wait until the end and merge when I am suppose to. if everyone did this then it would move a lot smoother.

Closed Thread