Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The merge point is about 1/4 mile back from the single lane (if I remember right) now in Oklahoma. There will be all the regular signs & one that says "Merge here, state law". They do watch for the push until the last minute folks & ticket them. I hate it when I try to get over early & the Ten-tees won't let me in. It doesn't take much to be courteous & not letting me in means that you'll get to the end of the constriction a few feet ahead of me. Really? It's that necessary?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #44

Certainty we all agree... Nobody should drive on the shoulder in a construction zone.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
The merge point is about 1/4 mile back from the single lane (if I remember right) now in Oklahoma. There will be all the regular signs & one that says "Merge here, state law". They do watch for the push until the last minute folks & ticket them. I hate it when I try to get over early & the Ten-tees won't let me in. It doesn't take much to be courteous & not letting me in means that you'll get to the end of the constriction a few feet ahead of me. Really? It's that necessary?
Your info is outdated.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Your info is outdated.
????
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
Here are the results of the analysis done in 2007:
“It was found that the early merge signs did not appear to reduce the percentage of vehicles that remained in the closed lane. However, at least for right-lane closures, there appeared to be a significant benefit to using the STATE LAW MERGE NOW signing to reduce the number of observed conflicts at the merge area. This was evident when the hourly volumes were more than 550 vph (vehicles per hour)."

From the widely differing opinions reflected here it seems that the major deciding factor in a functional "Zipper Merge" and utilizing both lanes up to the point of closure is volume.

Surprisingly enough, it works in the city and fails on the open road. Go figure.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, here is someone's opinion:
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Well, here is someone's opinion:
Childish, uncooperative, boorish, behavior, portrayed correctly!

Which is the correct lane is the point of the thread. Opinions vary.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's the me me me attitude. sooner you get in line better traffic flow but why wait your turn your special
Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #51

Zipper merge vs. early merge
When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane. Don't worry about being "Minnesota nice." When traffic is heavy and slow, it is much safer for motorists to remain in their current lane until the point where traffic can orderly take turns merging.

When not to do the zipper merge
When traffic is moving at highway speeds and there are no backups, it makes sense to move sooner to the lane that will remain open through construction. The bottom line is to merge when it is safe to do so.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Childish, uncooperative, boorish, behavior, portrayed correctly!

Which is the correct lane is the point of the thread. Opinions vary.
Carefully this post could be considered flaming as it's succinct, to the point and exactly pin points the problem attitude. Ask me how I know this.......