Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

Lane closures - Merging

The other day we were on the PA Turnpike. Multiple Signs counting down the distance to the construction zone. Along with all the other reduced speed, caution and Work Zone required signs installed along the shoulder proclaiming Construction Ahead

Furthur along the signs appeared, Right Lane closed,

then Right lane closed 1/2 mile ahead ahead.

The people had already all lined up in the left lane! Stopped dead, with the right lane clear as a bell, no traffic, no construction, nothing. People were trying to merge WAY upstream of the spot designed by the traffic engineer. That means the traffic jam had out paced the warning signs and 1/2 mile of road lane.

My question is: Why would anybody merge 1/2 mile before the cones and barrels? And... Why would anybody be angry at a driver who follows the set traffic pattern and merges at the place indicated by traffic control devices?

We see it all the time. Hostile acceleration, obscene gestures and dangerous driving. Just because somebody didn't merge at a rapidly changing, random point in the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well I'm bigger than they are so...... I have no bad feelings about driving to the merge point, then basically forcing my way in... honk all you want, shoot me the bird, whatever
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard rumors of the guy who waits till the last foot getting ticketed. You merge over when you see an opening, cause when you get to the end of the lane where you must either merge or sit there, you may be sitting for a long time.

Of course then there is the 1D 10T who slid between the barrels and ran the closed lane for about a mile (major construction project) till he spotted the patrol car, then he cut back into the open lanes dang near causing a crash.. Hoping to get back in hiding before the troopers saw him.... His problem, they saw him long before he did that 10T move.

That said he was a fine upstanding citizen (UP STANDING in court saying Yes Your Honor, and NO your honor and having sentence passed)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have heard rumors of the guy who waits till the last foot getting ticketed. You merge over when you see an opening, cause when you get to the end of the lane where you must either merge or sit there, you may be sitting for a long time.

Of course then there is the 1D 10T who slid between the barrels and ran the closed lane for about a mile (major construction project) till he spotted the patrol car, then he cut back into the open lanes dang near causing a crash.. Hoping to get back in hiding before the troopers saw him.... His problem, they saw him long before he did that 10T move.

That said he was a fine upstanding citizen (UP STANDING in court saying Yes Your Honor, and NO your honor and having sentence passed)
LOL now that's pushing it a little too far and ticket deserved!!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
My question is: Why would anybody merge 1/2 mile before the cones and barrels? And... Why would anybody be angry at a driver who follows the set traffic pattern and merges at the place indicated by traffic control devices?
IMO that's because the "early mergers" have some common sense (and a brain)...... whereas "late mergers" are selfish, in a hurry and don't give a rip about other drivers, (aka: inconsiderate clods/trouble makers).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

I hate to say this and I will probably get flamed and beat up, but to both MickBrennan and plasma800, well folks, I just can't teach common sense and courtesy. Road rage is unacceptable behavior, but it's your type of driving that often causes it. You will refuse to understand that ALL THOSE PEOPLE that merge early are attempting to avoid the clogged up mess that you, and people LIKE YOU, ARE CAUSING. The merge point wasn't "designed by engineers" as THE point to merge, it is the LAST POSSIBLE point to merge. If people like you didn't fly up the right lane then "force your way in" the traffic flow would be much smoother. Again, YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND that going to the front and forcing your way in is WHAT IS CAUSING the complete stop of traffic that has already merged.
But I am wasting time and electrons trying to impart common sense and respect for others. Haven't you ever wondered why the professional truckers will sometimes block both lanes to prevent people like you from running up the empty lane and force your way in?? THEY understand the concept of merging early to maintain flow rather than stop it. Haven't you ever wondered why they start warnings about lane closure so far in advance? NOPE, I thought not!
Bet you were both grew up thinking there was nothing wrong with "cutting in line", right?
Again, lack of common sense and utter rudeness seem to be the current norm, part of growing up with a "ME, ME, ME" attitude, and it can't and won't be taught on this, or any other forum:bang head:
OK folks, let me have it for trying to explain the obvious . . . where's Bill Engvall and "Here's Your Sign" when you need him??
Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

I agree, those that crowd in at the last moment in an attempt to beat traffic most likely don't have a class A or class B license. If they do they didn't get sufficient training by their driving instructor. Rudeness in one area of driving usually is also incurred in other areas on the highway. I try to stay away from those people on the highways and byways.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you Stik. Your the type of driver I like sharing the road with. I see it all the time. There's always the jerk that will stay in the lane that is merging up to the last moment, just to get ahead of a few cars. And when he does merge in, at a speed that is to fast, he then slams on the brakes and causes a chain reaction behind him. If I had it my way. I would require all drivers take a CDL drivers exam. Perhaps they would learn something.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I recall a thread where a MH didnt merge at all and drove between a police car and a truck. Killed a Highway Patrol Officer. Claims he did not see the signs.

If everyone merged early it would allow traffic to flow through the constriction at a higher rate of speed (closer to the posted). When people drive to the end to merge is causes traffic to slow up to let them in and the ultimate result is a traffic slow down.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I hate to say this and I will probably get flamed and beat up, but to both MickBrennan and plasma800, well folks, I just can't teach common sense and courtesy. Road rage is unacceptable behavior, but it's your type of driving that often causes it. You will refuse to understand that ALL THOSE PEOPLE that merge early are attempting to avoid the clogged up mess that you, and people LIKE YOU, ARE CAUSING. The merge point wasn't "designed by engineers" as THE point to merge, it is the LAST POSSIBLE point to merge. If people like you didn't fly up the right lane then "force your way in" the traffic flow would be much smoother. Again, YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND that going to the front and forcing your way in is WHAT IS CAUSING the complete stop of traffic that has already merged.
But I am wasting time and electrons trying to impart common sense and respect for others. Haven't you ever wondered why the professional truckers will sometimes block both lanes to prevent people like you from running up the empty lane and force your way in?? THEY understand the concept of merging early to maintain flow rather than stop it. Haven't you ever wondered why they start warnings about lane closure so far in advance? NOPE, I thought not!
Bet you were both grew up thinking there was nothing wrong with "cutting in line", right?
Again, lack of common sense and utter rudeness seem to be the current norm, part of growing up with a "ME, ME, ME" attitude, and it can't and won't be taught on this, or any other forum:bang head:
OK folks, let me have it for trying to explain the obvious . . . where's Bill Engvall and "Here's Your Sign" when you need him??
Wow Intresting thought process. From my prospective it is a legal travel lane up to the merge point. Why wouldn't you use it, then if all involved would have the common curtesy to merge every other vehicle instead of not letting that guy in, traffic would move at a faster pace. Generally the guy that wants to merge half a mile early is holding up traffic behind him until he can get in. This from a guy who has been a truck driver over 29 years.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Wow Intresting thought process. From my prospective it is a legal travel lane up to the merge point. Why wouldn't you use it, then if all involved would have the common curtesy to merge every other vehicle instead of not letting that guy in, traffic would move at a faster pace. Generally the guy that wants to merge half a mile early is holding up traffic behind him until he can get in. This from a guy who has been a truck driver over 29 years.
Yep a pick up at the most
Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #12

If people didn't have to slow down to let in the last minute mergers the traffic would move a lot smoother.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I agree, those that crowd in at the last moment in an attempt to beat traffic most likely don't have a class A or class B license. If they do they didn't get sufficient training by their driving instructor. Rudeness in one area of driving usually is also incurred in other areas on the highway. I try to stay away from those people on the highways and byways.
If a lane is closed up ahead, there will always be those that pass hundreds of cars and then merge at the last minute. Often we'll see (or participate in) two large vehicles riding side by side; both going the left lane speed. That keeps all but the right-side shoulder-riders from keeping the left lane from moving on. The vehicle in the right lane gets let in by the left laner when it's time to do so.

On one of those occasions where a guy passed on the shoulder, we got to enjoy that a trooper was behind him and lit up after the guy.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
i don't do 90mph to the merge point just so i can "beat those others stupid drivers" - but if I put on my blinker and no one moves to let me in, and I keep rolling forward looking for a spot, and i get to the merge point and have to squeeze in, I have no problem with this.

I'm not discourteous about it or rude or viscously "out to get you" - i just don't feel bad about it when it happens - and you shouldn't either. If you want sit a mile back, go for it - sometimes I do that too. Sometimes I use the traffic jam to go to the bathroom.

Conversely I also don't feel bad when I merge early and someone else runs up to the merge point - EVEN IF they are discourteously trying to beat me to the traffic jam. This is just not a subject that deserves enough vehemency to raise anyones blood pressure.

Also, no matter WHERE the merge point is, be it 1 mile back by choice or 10 feet, the flow will remain almost the same. It's similar to pushing water into a smaller water hose, it doesn't matter where the molecule enters, all must enter at some point slowing a molecule behind it. Regardless, room for all vehicles must be made by opening points and adding new points on the end, opening end points there - it's gonna happen somewhere and traffic will simply flow as it flows.

Besides, you got someplace to be? I know I don't
Closed Thread