Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

We will be going from Texas through Phoenix and on up to Boise next week. What is the preferred route through Nevade in going from Las Vegas to Idaho?

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #2

We will be going from Texas through Phoenix and on up to Boise next week. What is the preferred route through Nevade in going from Las Vegas to Idaho?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
cyko
My Wife and I live in the Boise area and have made the trip numerous times and the quickest way is probably Interstate 15 to Interstate 84 but you will have to go through Salt Lake City. We like to take Highway 93 out of Las Vegas and connect with Interstate 84 at Twin Falls, ID. We have stayed at the campground at Cathedral Gorge State Park and also at Angel Creek Campground near Wells. Cathedral Gorge only has two pull-thru's if I remember correctly and no hookups and Angel Creek is a National Forest campground and doesn't have hookups. Angel Creek is a short drive out of Wells but well worth the drive, it is much better than staying at the RV parks in Wells unless you like to gamble. Both campgrounds have dump sites.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I have taken the route you describe many years ago and liked it. I have been concerned about getting caught in bad weather and wondered if another route would be safer in that regard. Terry Smay

Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Guys!

That US 93 looks like an interesting route. How much traffic do you find on that side of Nevada? Looks like it goes thru some pretty sparse areas.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
That US 93 looks like an interesting route. How much traffic do you find on that side of Nevada? Looks like it goes thru some pretty sparse areas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are a lot of "sparse" areas in Nevada, and US-93 is no exception! Traffic is light, but there are lots of places to dry camp along the route, and it sure as heck beats going through Salt Lake City!!! We'll be traveling US-93 sometime next month.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do everything I can do to bypass Salt Lake City, the traffic is terrible! If you do decide to take Interstate 15 you will have to turn onto Interstate 84 just north of Tremonton, UT and then drive through Snowville, UT (key word here is SNOWVILLE). The section of I-84 from Snowville to Sublett, ID is one of the windiest roads I have ever driven on and can be real tiring. Last time we drove Hiway 93 there was a cowboy hearding cattle along the highway just south of the Ruby Mountains, sure was more fun watching him and his dog as opposed to getting cut-off by cars and trucks.
Ron
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #8

If you decide on the I-15 route, I'd recommend a quick stop at Kolob Canyon (exit 40). This is a little known part of Zion NP and is a beautiful setting. It's about halfway between St. George and Cedar City, UT. Great place for a picnic.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richf:
If you decide on the I-15 route, I'd recommend a quick stop at Kolob Canyon (exit 40). This is a little known part of Zion NP and is a beautiful setting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll second that! Not crowded like the main part of Zion NP - beautiful scenery, and close-up, too.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #10

We came up 93 last Tuesday. It was a good two-lane road, mostly flat with lots of passing opportunities, one long climb and descent just south of Ely, and modest traffic. I am glad I took it to avoid Salt Lake City. Terry Smay