Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Las Vegas to Phoenix

We are planning a trip from LV to Phoenix for the spring in order to visit one of our sons and to see some spring training games. The suggested route is Highway 93, a route with which we are unfamiliar.

I have driven the 93 from LV to Kingman, but never south at that point. Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptable route for a MoHo of 36' with a toad. In addition, any suggestions for a CG would also be appreciated.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

AZ 93, the last miles into Phoenix , goes to surface road with many , 6 way intersections ( 3 roads crossing ) been a number of years since I was on the route , but the LONG delays at traffic lights is the strongest memory.
Depending where exactly your heading , getting onto I-17, or the 101 circle road , north of the city might be a preferred route.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Hwy 93 would be your best choice over hwy 89 or I-17. I've traveled that hwy every time we've gone from Phx to Vegas in our 36' mother home. Sorry, don't have an RV park to reccomed.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

It is a good two lane road. Have done it many times with our 40 ft pulling a toad. As you get south of wickenburg you can take several different routes depending upon your Phoenix location.
aztortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I've taken 93 to/through Phoenix several times. In order to miss the stop and go traffic in Sun City, Surpirze, etc. I'll take highway 74 north of Phoenix and pick up I-17
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Made that trip every two to four week for four year when stationed at Luke AFB. during late 80s to early 90s. It was referred to as Suicide Alley back then. For the first year I did the trip in a four cylinder '87 Toyota Dolphin so todays RVs do just fine. We till use the route when using I-10 to go to and/or from south Texas, but now we use the 303 bypass to avoid Grand Ave and the nightmare of the stop and go to get to or from 93. Tried the route down to through Searchlight to Blythe and/or Quartzite and it was not worth the new sightseeing desire and too longer. The advise on US 95 to Wickenburg then US 60 is still the best route. As long as it's not during the rush hours, I may try AZ 74 next go round. Enjoy your trip and be safe, that route can still be a bear.

Just a note added on edit: Other than when I was stationed there, we have not stayed at any of the local parks.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I travel that route for the last 7 yrs. The last year in M/H's with no problems. I have 42 ft M/H just traveled it last week. No problems at all. Most of it is now 4 lanes expect for maybe 30 miles of it..

Jim
jjensen04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for the advice. Looks like my son will reside in the Glendale/Peoria area so 93 will be the way to go.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas