Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
a big thank you, can this route be planned on google maps

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A few miles West on I-10 from Phoenix is Quartzite. Jan. 21st thru 29th is the big RV show. You can stay on BLM land for free. It's dry camping but worth it.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
A few miles West on I-10 from Phoenix is Quartzite. Jan. 21st thru 29th is the big RV show. You can stay on BLM land for free. It's dry camping but worth it.
Please send me more info. this sounds do-able
what is blm and what do you mean dry camping?

thanks
comealong
Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #18

Chaining up a motorhome.....time to park and wait for better weather. Should not be a problem on I-10.

For New Orleans check out fqrv.com, a nice park adjacent to the French Quarter.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Comealong,

Yes, the route can be planned in the on-line mapping program (Google, Bing, etc.,)

When planning a route in Google Maps, Bing Maps, etc., when you are on the map page there will be (for Google) a box next to "Google" that you can type in, and at the end of the box will be a blue "magnifier" button for "Searching."

In that box, type in the words, "RV park" without the quotes and click on the search button. After the ohs and ahs, try other words, like "Campground," "Mexican restaurant," "State park" etc., all without the quotes and see what comesalong (pun intended)

Just remember that the information that pops up is only as good as the search engine and their web bots and the information that the developer of the web page puts in in. some may have information that is not entirely what you are looking for, but the majority will be good information.

Click on one of the balloons that pop up for more information on that "item."

You can drag the map along your route and you will have the map re-populated with results.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #20

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

BLM-Bureau of Land Management, Dry Camping= No hookups (prepare by having empty grey/Black tanks, full fresh water tank and fully charged batteries) Depending on length of stay one needs to conserve water, minimize water use such that grey tank is not filled too quickly. Also fuel tank that supplies generator should be full as well as propane for cooking, refrigerator, and heating.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #21

Good Sams trailer life directory is a great source for finding camp grounds. They even have an app if you have a smart phone!!! Lots and lots of campgrounds!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #22

Unless you have a specific reason to be in New Orleans, I would take I-55 to Memphis, then I-40 to Little Rock, then I-30 to Dallas then I-20 through Texas which merges with I-10 in West Texas.

In my experience I-40 is worse than I-10 through Louisiana, plus you definitely run the risk that weather will be a problem through Oklahoma and northern New Mexico and Flagstaff. Not so much of a problem in West Texas and southern New Mexico and Phoenix.

Also, check out rvparkreviews.com for RV Parks. Not all are reviewed but you can get some good information there. We also use Woodalls.

Good luck.

Don
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you choose I 10, skip it in New Orleans. Take I12 from NO to Baton Rouge, then get back on I10. There is a lot to see on I10 inLouisiana. If you want to try some real Cajun cuisine, skip New Orleans and try local restaurants in south Louisiana. Skip most of the large restaurantw. One I would recommend is Crawfish Town in Henderson. If you want to try some more cajun delicacies, try Cajun Boudin, sold at most cajun grocery stores. Have a good trip and when in Louisiana, laissez le bon temp rouler!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I also will be driving my 40 foot RV from Ontario Canada to Saint Louis Mo. to Apache Junction next week. From all weather reports I40 looks fine up to end of Nov. Most temps show low 40 to high 50f. First time for me on this route. I will take the Holbrook south past Heber route as has been suggested then on to A. J. Good Luck with all your travels.
Rebel
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
now we are thinking of spending Christmas with our daughter. we only have one kid and we are already missing her. maybe leave new years day.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Unless you have a specific reason to be in New Orleans, I would take I-55 to Memphis, then I-40 to Little Rock, then I-30 to Dallas then I-20 through Texas which merges with I-10 in West Texas.

In my experience I-40 is worse than I-10 through Louisiana, plus you definitely run the risk that weather will be a problem through Oklahoma and northern New Mexico and Flagstaff. Not so much of a problem in West Texas and southern New Mexico and Phoenix.

Also, check out rvparkreviews.com for RV Parks. Not all are reviewed but you can get some good information there. We also use Woodalls.

Good luck.

Don
I see that you are from TX. Have you traveled this route before at this time of year. I am very nervous about the icey roads. My husband is ready to give it a try.
Also i heard that there will be a rally or something in TX in January. Is this true?
Thanks for the route.
comealong