Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Leaving Zion Headed Back East

Will be headed to Zion from Bryce tomorrow. Staying in Virgin at Zion River Resort. Looking for some routing suggestions for my trip east. Planning on staying a couple days in Kanab. Will be going to the North Rim and the animal sanctuary from Kanab. Then headed over to Page for 2 or 3 days to see Antelope Canyon. From there heading to Monumant Valley and Mesa Verde. Then trying to decide to head up to Great Sand Dunes NP or not. Whether or not we go to Great Sand Dunes or not, will then head towards I-40 for the trip back to Tennessee.

As of now I'm planning on 59/389/89A from Virgin to Kanab. 89 to Page. 98/160/163 to Monument Valley. 163/160/491 to Cortez/Mesa Verde. Assuming I've got it right from Virgin to Cortez, what would be the best route(s) to Great Sand Dunes then down to I-40 or from Cortez south to I-40?

Thanks in advance.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

How many routes are there, the direct one, 160 west. Or cut north to Montrose and then west on 50. Unless you are dropping down into New Mexico which would be odd to say the least.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

The best way from Cortez (you are correct in getting there) is to continue east on 160 to Pagosa Springs (stop for an awesome soak in immaculate concrete pools of varying temperatures overlooking the river). Continue on 160 to South Fork (Wolf Creek Pass) and on to Alamosa and Great Sand Dunes NP. Take 285 south to 84 at Espanola (Bandelier Nat'l Monument & Los Alamos) and 285 to I-40 at Clines Corners, NM. Stop at Santa Fe Skies RV for a couple days if you have time.

Wolf Creek Pass (many RVers do it). You'll have an uphill to the summit then 6% for 8 miles. Most of this is 3-lanes. Farther down the mountain it alternates between 2 & 3 lanes. There's a short tunnel but high enough for the biggest RVs and semis. Downshift before going down; not in the midst of the downhill. This keeps you from using your brakes much. It'll be over before you know it! Beautiful drive into South Fork.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

Thanks twogypsies. I was hoping you would chime in. I appreciate the info about Wolf Creek Pass. If I wanted to add Pikes Peak to the agenda, which way would you go from Great Sand Dunes NP? I will admit I haven't looked at that yet.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #5

to Pikes Peak from Great Sand Dunes NP:

- 187 mi. pretty drive - 285 north to 24 east

- 179 mi. faster - 160E to I-25 north to 24 west

Do you think you'll ever get home? I agree though that as long as you're in the area and have the time, do as much as you can. Do you have plans to return soon?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

You are the man (I assume) twogypsies. We planned for 6 - 8 weeks, but whatever it takes works for us. We are at the end of week 4 now. Great Sand Dunes NP and Pikes Peak are unplanned additions to our trip as was Black Canyon of Gunnison NP. We are having a blast seeing the country and taking a little down time along the way. It may be a couple of years before we get back out west and that may be the northern part of the country, but we will definitely be back to the southwest again if everything works as planned.

Thanks again for your input. You are a valuable resource to me and the others in this forum!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
Will be headed to Zion from Bryce tomorrow. Staying in Virgin at Zion River Resort. Looking for some routing suggestions for my trip east. Planning on staying a couple days in Kanab. Will be going to the North Rim and the animal sanctuary from Kanab. Then headed over to Page for 2 or 3 days to see Antelope Canyon. From there heading to Monumant Valley and Mesa Verde. Then trying to decide to head up to Great Sand Dunes NP or not. Whether or not we go to Great Sand Dunes or not, will then head towards I-40 for the trip back to Tennessee.

As of now I'm planning on 59/389/89A from Virgin to Kanab. 89 to Page. 98/160/163 to Monument Valley. 163/160/491 to Cortez/Mesa Verde. Assuming I've got it right from Virgin to Cortez, what would be the best route(s) to Great Sand Dunes then down to I-40 or from Cortez south to I-40?

Thanks in advance.
Just Bing it- the roads are good you will need to go over a pass to get out of the Mountains.

With all the stops you are making I'd Suggest Ouray/Silverton/Telluride/Lake City as possible stops in the San Juan's - IMHO - this is truely one of the Last Great Wild Spots in the US that you can explore and Enjoy.

Links;

https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/photostream/

Rock and Rolls post on Ouray - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/monti...-425074-3.html

I could go on and on but I think you get the Idea.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

Thanks Busskipper. I was hoping you would provide some input. I will take a look at your suggestions.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
You are the man (I assume) twogypsies. We planned for 6 - 8 weeks, but whatever it takes works for us. We are at the end of week 4 now. Great Sand Dunes NP and Pikes Peak are unplanned additions to our trip as was Black Canyon of Gunnison NP. We are having a blast seeing the country and taking a little down time along the way. It may be a couple of years before we get back out west and that may be the northern part of the country, but we will definitely be back to the southwest again if everything works as planned.

Thanks again for your input. You are a valuable resource to me and the others in this forum!
Sounds as if you are really enjoying the trip - see if you can add a little more time - you are in what I would call Heaven! - Very Target Rich Environment/area.

Where are you for the Next few Days - there are just so many Little surprises all through the Southwest and to miss any would be a shame. Things happen and life may cause it to be difficult to return (Trust Me I Know - I've been flying out for the last few years while I took care of life)

You talk about Black Canyon of the Gunnison have you looked into - Crested Butte - Marble - Crystal Mill - Redstone - Maroon Bells - Independence Pass - Cottonwood Pass.......on and on in this area. (Just Google any in Images for a tour)

Lake City - Creede - Ouray - Pagosa Springs - Silverton - Alpine Loop - Aspen turning Gold......

South in Arizona - Canyon de Chelly is a do not miss -.....................

I think you get the message, IMHO the Best is still in Front of You so try to steal a little more time and Enjoy it as it is just Great.

Let us Know what we can do to help.

Cortez, what would be the best route(s) to Great Sand Dunes then down to I-40

Something Like this - MAP - https://binged.it/2kQT1Oz -

This only covers a few but hits the places you have already decided on - Maroon Bells is the Most photographed spot in Colorado - Leadville/Buena Vista/ Arkansas River/Salida/Collegiates/Browns Canyon NM/.............but still misses a Ton of Colorado in what is considered the best time - IMHO - to be there. So Much to see/do Never enough TIME.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote