Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Little Swan MN to Lompoc Ca...next week!!

Hello to all; where the heck is Little Swan, you ask? 50m west of Duluth mn. We are trying to figure out the best way to take....35 to 40.. then to Palmdale Ca, to stay away from LA. Or Denver....or Salt Lake city? I know it's about 200 more to take 40. Weather is the deal. Any thoughts on the way to go? Thanks Bobmn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Have you thought about this route
1) I-35 to Des Moines
2) I-80 west to I-680 in western Iowa (this takes you around Omaha)
3) I-80 through Nebraska, Wyoming, into Utah
4) US 40 /189 through Heber City down to Orem /Provo (avoids SLC)
5) I -15 through Utah, Nevada (use express lanes through Las Vegas)
6) In the outskirts of LA take I-210 around the "north" burbs of L.A.

Of course you need to keep you eye on the weather regadless of which route you take ... I-40 near Flagstaff was closed for about 12 hours on March 18 due to heavy snow and so many vehicles were in the ditch they closed the road.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

Thank You!!

Skigramp; Wow, great route! We have only been the southern route. Long roads, filled with trucks! We do like to try new routes. Thanks again for the info. I'll email you some time, after we are underway........to let you know how it's going! Thanks Bobmn
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

You will have a long gradual climb from Omaha (~800 ft) to mile marker 323 in Wyoming (~8000 ft) ... there is a nice rest area there ... it is the highest point on I-80 as it crosses the US

There will be a lot of truck traffic on I-80 from Des Moines to the junction of I-80 and I-76 in western Nebraska

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

We made it!

SkiGramp...and to all. Well, we took "your" route. Went well! 5 above in Utah, snow and ice, but we were all ready parked for the nite. WINDY!!!!! Went about 350m. a day. 2450 total miles. Got to Lompoc last Wed. Have a house here, we HAD rented out, for the last 2+ yrs. Had to get a lawyer to get them out. The *^%$&^$#$ trashed the house, so we have someone that wants to buy it as is. I think we are done with renters!! At 71, I'm to cranky to put up with the bull any more!! Going to the Tulare tractor show the 20/23rd of this mo. Thanks again for showing us the way!!! Bobmn