Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

London, ON to Port Charlotte, FL

Just getting ready to do the 'snowbird' trek to Florida
We have taken I75(Detroit to Port Charlotte) for the last 3 yr but are always apprehensive about traffic especially thru Cincinatti, Knoxville and Atlanta.
I wondering if anyone has any recent experience on taking a more westerly route, I69/I65/SR231/I75 instead of I75 all the way.
All comments welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm51 View Post
Just getting ready to do the 'snowbird' trek to Florida

We have taken I75(Detroit to Port Charlotte) for the last 3 yr but are always apprehensive about traffic especially thru Cincinatti, Knoxville and Atlanta.

I wondering if anyone has any recent experience on taking a more westerly route, I69/I65/SR231/I75 instead of I75 all the way.

All comments welcome!

I would prefer a more easterly route & go down I26 to I95 then down US301 at Jax to I75 just north of Tampa. I live just east of Knoxville at Gatlinburg and I hate Atlanta. Done it many times but never enjoy it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Doug,

I agree that driving though those cities sucks, but the problem is the interstates go to and though cities.
The answer we use is simple.
Look at the clock.
Drive time for the working folks is essentially 7 to 9 AM and 4 to 7 pm.
If you are getting close to a city in one of those time slots, park. Sit back, Read, have a meal.
Let them have their accidents and go home.
Then, fire up and go on your way.

I grew up driving in the east coast megopolis, and it still hate:
Windsor/Detroit
Toledo is better than some but still sucks. At least there is cheap fuel at Alexis road.
Dayton you won't even see.
Cinci/Covington is a good reason to have dinner at RA south of EX 29.
I-75 goes around Lexington, but there is still some issue.
Knoxville is a PITA, but there were RA both north and south of town (~MP130 &370) to wait out the traffic.
I have no idea what to do about Atlanta. There aren't even decent bypass routes.

You could always go around the other end of the lake...

Good Luck.

Matt
Old 10-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Doug,
I live in Ohio and snowbird the slightly western route. Cincinnati is not a problem since I use the eastern outer belt (I forget the number ) and traffic is better. I then go over to Louisville and catch a beltway around to I-65 south. The next problem is Nashville, and I don't know an easy answer, so we stop there overnight, and start out fresh in the morning. The northern bypass around Montgomery, Alabama takes me to route 231, and the next overnight for us is around Ozark. From there it's down to I-10 and east into the Florida peninsula.

I know that it's a little longer, but it's a more friendly drive for us. Many travel I-75, but as mentioned Atlanta is a worry, and for me that mountain just north of Knoxville, ( Jellico ) is a worry from this time of year forward. I've already driven on dry roads in Kentucky, and got to the top of Jellico to find icy roads and snow.
And I find the traffic on I-65 to be lighter, in general, so I can relax and enjoy the trip.
Let me know if you would like more details.
Bob
Bobb.25 is online now   Reply With Quote