Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking for places to stop at

Hey all. Im looking for places to stop along the way from Chicago to Florida.Or does anyone know if the rest areas a decent place to stay for the night? Havent made this trip before and was looking for input.
Thanks
Shawn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

What I usually do........and I can't speak for any particular places to stop at, but have found that I'm best with about 350-450 miles in a days travel. This means 7-8 hours of driving, which gives you time to set up camp for the night, and not have to leave before the sun comes up....though you might like to do that too?

When I know how far I'm gonna get in a day, I start looking on the maps....then check out http://www.rvparkreviews.com to see what is in that area for campgrounds. Not a bad idea to have AAA, and take a look at their Tour Books, to see what attractions you can squeeze into the trip.

Depending on your interests, and those of your family, you'll find quite the variety of things along the way.

Personally, I find that planning the trip is almost (yes, I said, ALMOST) as much fun as the trip itself.

Happy Camping.

PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

looking for places to stay

Be like the rest of us and be a walmart camper.just make sure u are out of the way when u park for the night.My DW thought i was a little crazy too for wanting to stay overnight at a WalMart.Hey if u need something its right there,and just keep your area clean and they wont say a thing.Besides the have security that drives around all night.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Good rest area with dump and sites restricted to RVs only just north of Macon by-pass on I-75 (just south of Forsyth)
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by snl2106 View Post
Hey all. Im looking for places to stop along the way from Chicago to Florida.Or does anyone know if the rest areas a decent place to stay for the night? Havent made this trip before and was looking for input.
Thanks
Shawn
check:
Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
for walmart locations that allow rv overnight parking (and some that don't).
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Question Overnight Stop

Hi all,

Hey Shawn,

Another good overnight stop if you are just looking to get off the road for a few hours of sleep are Cracker Barrel's! And when you wake up you can have a good breakfast !! Before I retired I would do this often on the way from NJ to GA & Fla! Now I do the 2+2+2 travel method, which is drive 200 miles, be off the road by 2PM, and stay over a min. of 2 nights! Hope this helps some and have a great trip!!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

Without knowing your route, perhaps http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
will help with planning. I use I65 most of the way, this avoids the mountainous, and usually quite busy, I75. It's also only 80-90 miles longer for me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL View Post
Hi all,

Hey Shawn,

Another good overnight stop if you are just looking to get off the road for a few hours of sleep are Cracker Barrel's! And when you wake up you can have a good breakfast !! Before I retired I would do this often on the way from NJ to GA & Fla! Now I do the 2+2+2 travel method, which is drive 200 miles, be off the road by 2PM, and stay over a min. of 2 nights! Hope this helps some and have a great trip!!
last time I checked Cracker Barrel doesn't encourage overnight parking.
In fact they discourage it.
Flying J is the way to go; I've been doing it for years; you just got to love trucks.
overnight for campers is seperate from the truck parking.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Also pick up the book 'The Next Exit' at any truck stop. Will tell you what businesses and gas stations and Wal Marts are at every interstate exit.

Beware that some Wal Marts are NOT right by the off ramp and you may find yourself in a questionable part of town very late at night.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote