Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

Looking for Scenic route in West Georgia

Looking for scenic drive from Columbus Ga to Chattanooga and west to Beechgrove.
Chattanooga
Rock Springs
Summerville
Armuchee
Rome
Buchanan
Cedanown
Carrollton
LaGrange
Pine Mountain
Columbus
HY 27 or 1
How about the Dixie Hwy West of Chattanooga? Hwy 41

I have a 37' gasser with full tanks and an over loaded toad!

Looking for suggestions that don't involve atlanta

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

YOu could take 280 out of Columbus into Alabama up to Harpersville, Al, and take 231 up into Tennessee. It will be scenic but from Harpersville north at least to Huntsville it will be lots of two lane.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

We drove US-27 on Friday from south of Rome to Pine Mountain and I don't know that I would call it scenic but it's a nice road and I enjoyed it more than the interstate. It pretty well by-passes most of the town centers. There are a few small hills but I doubt your coach would have issue with them.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
We drove US-27 on Friday from south of Rome to Pine Mountain and I don't know that I would call it scenic but it's a nice road and I enjoyed it more than the interstate. It pretty well by-passes most of the town centers. There are a few small hills but I doubt your coach would have issue with them.
We are retired and love to travel in the slow lane.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Looking for scenic drive from Columbus Ga to Chattanooga and west to Beechgrove.
Chattanooga
Rock Springs
Summerville
Armuchee
Rome
Buchanan
Cedanown
Carrollton
LaGrange
Pine Mountain
Columbus
HY 27 or 1
How about the Dixie Hwy West of Chattanooga? Hwy 41

I have a 37' gasser with full tanks and an over loaded toad!
Glad you're traveling through our neighborhood!

Depending on time, and if you want to add a bit more scenery and flavor get off I-185 on the north side of Columbus then take two lane US 27 northbound instead. Stop at Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain and possibly Main Street in LaGrange. The Pine Mountain area is a destination unto itself with the Gardens, downtown Pine Mountain, FDR Park, Downtown LaGrange, Roosevelt's Little White House and Warm Springs a bit further NE. Rejoin I-185 northbound (US 27 and I-185 exit /entrance 42) then I-185 to its end and then left exit on to I-85 for about 1 mile to LaGrange exit 18. Then proceed east on GA 109, Lafayette Parkway 3 miles to US 27 and take a right US 27 northbound out of LaGrange from there. The last part is much easier and 4 lane all the way.

If you decide to visit and drive through the several miles of Callaway Gardens you may want to drop the toad in the Discovery Center lot and use it for more comfort. (The Azaleas are awesome this week)

The hills in this area of the Piedmont are very shallow and the roads are good. We live in the area and have a bit larger set up than yours with a gasser and do fine driving from Columbus up to Rome where we swing over to I-75 at Calhoun.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Glad you're traveling through our neighborhood!

Depending on time, and if you want to add a bit more scenery and flavor get off I-185 on the north side of Columbus then take two lane US 27 northbound instead. Stop at Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain and possibly Main Street in LaGrange. The Pine Mountain area is a destination unto itself with the Gardens, downtown Pine Mountain, FDR Park, Downtown LaGrange, Roosevelt's Little White House and Warm Springs a bit further NE. Rejoin I-185 northbound (US 27 and I-185 exit /entrance 42) then I-185 to its end and then left exit on to I-85 for about 1 mile to LaGrange exit 18. Then proceed east on GA 109, Lafayette Parkway 3 miles to US 27 and take a right US 27 northbound out of LaGrange from there. The last part is much easier and 4 lane all the way.

If you decide to visit and drive through the several miles of Callaway Gardens you may want to drop the toad in the Discovery Center lot and use it for more comfort. (The Azaleas are awesome this week)

The hills in this area of the Piedmont are very shallow and the roads are good. We live in the area and have a bit larger set up than yours with a gasser and do fine driving from Columbus up to Rome where we swing over to I-75 at Calhoun.

Knowing the area and having some experience with a rig like ours can you tell me about 341 and 136 to Trenton?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up there you are out of the Piedmont and into the southern Appalachians. Generally eastern mountain roads are in good condition, but they do have their share of steep grades and switchbacks.

Not that familiar with 341 up there, but we used to camp at Cloudland Canyon SP on 136 at Trenton back years ago. The hills and switchbacks there are rather substantial , but we'd run them in our Coachman 36 foot gasser back then towing a Jeep. The road is good for a mountain road but steep and curvy. You'll know you have been on some mountain roads but with a good tranny and brakes, they are doable. (Take a look at Google earth for some perspective)

We really liked Cloudland for camping and the hike down into the canyon. Chickamauga battlefield is also worth a visit if you are around there.

Joe
Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
While you are in that area you can take advantage of the several COE parks on West Point lake, one of our favorite places to camp.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
While you are in that area you can take advantage of the several COE parks on West Point lake, one of our favorite places to camp.
GACAMP is dead on right! West Point's campgrounds are among the best campsites I have ever camped in- and I have camped from one end ot the continent to the other!

Sunset on the lake (if camping on the east side) is spectacular. Sunrise if camping on the west side is just as pretty.

Most campsites are right on the lake!

Good fishing too!