Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
I used to use Streets and Trips extensively and really miss the trip-planning features (over and above the route-planning). It let me schedule things like "stop by" time and "leave by" and stay for X nights, and I'd be left with not just a comprehensive route with multiple stops but a detailed itinerary. Drag a route and the changes ripple throughout; for instance, I decide to detour a hundred miles and add a 3 hour stop to see a sight, that results on a new overnight location and all subsequent arrivals and departures slip as well. I have not found another site or program that has this functionality. Anybody know of something similar? I do it all manually in Excel now.
RV Trip Wizard does most of this. You can't drag the route, but by picking a new stop (which can be a town or campground) and putting the new stop at the desired point in your route RV trip Wizard will change all of the other stops in your route to accommodate the number of nights you put in for the new stop.

In effect it keeps a running calendar starting with the day your trip begins and calculating the date of each new stop according to how many nights you said you would be at the previous stop. So, you can insert a stop of one or more days and the date of each subsequent stop will change accordingly.

RV Trip Wizard is for trip planning and not really route planning, although as you plan your trip the route is shown on the map that is an integral part of the app. If you change or add a stop the route on the map will change to show the new stop.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomeguy View Post
Another vote for DeLorme Street Atlas... Routes can be adjusted/changed, I never travel without checking it first and establishing my route. The GPS in the coach, in my opinion, is slightly better than a paper road map.

Do they provide free updates?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Is RV Trip wizard useful for traveling in Canada (specifically NS and PEI)?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Do they provide free updates?

Delorme normally issues a new program each year which you could purchase at a reduced cost. However, since they have been bought by Garmin, the latest version is Street Atlas 2015. There are currently no plans for a 2016, but they have left the option open for now.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
I've been researching options extensively recently (and intensively today), and it looks like InRoute for the iPad may be the best solution for my needs, allowing you to set layovers, depart by times, and adjusts ETA based on traffic. Haven't pulled the trigger to spend $12 on it yet. I'd love to hear from someone that uses it.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hey Folks!

Check this out ... I use

RV Trip Wizard
DeLorme Street Atlas 2013
Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013
Rand McNally - Trip Maker

Check all of that and go the way the DW tells you to go !!!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With all the information available on the Internet there isn't one program that will give you everything you need. As you can see from most responses everyone depends on Campground reviews, location information and much more when planning a trip.

The one thing you should first take into consideration before making a purchase of software or online subscription is what kind of traveling you are going to do - full time, long (30-60 days), short (less than 30), destination orientated (the destination is the focus) or sightseeing (wandering checking the sites in a specific area). The amount of information and time planning for each trip is slightly different and doesn't always warrant detailed planning.

However two things remains the same which is what is the best route and where are there places to stay. Google is the best for this - you can search right off the map for campgrounds, tourist sites, check the road and turn intersections (using street view), get reviews for almost everything and you can get the latest road construction and traffic listed on the map. I even check all the campgrounds I stay on google maps satellite view to see what kind of area I am located. Google allows you share the maps you create with others.

If you are a member of Good Sam you can use their trip planner which is quite good and has tourist sites and campgrounds in it and you can upload it to the GPS. After planning on Google I recreate it in Good Sam's trip planner as I rely on the GPS when driving for height and weight restrictions alerts. If you are not a member of Good Sam the a free alternative is the Rand McNally tripmaker Rand McNally - TripMaker which is the core program that Good Sam uses.

After using google maps and learning the traffic and construction features you end up checking the next days route either the night before you depart or in the morning before you leave and sometimes on your phone when traffic starts to slow down.

Lastly no matter what mapping program you use you going to find that you are going to need a good road atlas or road map, plus a copy of Next Exit for the co-pilot.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
RV Trip Wizard does most of this. You can't drag the route, but by picking a new stop (which can be a town or campground) and putting the new stop at the desired point in your route RV trip Wizard will change all of the other stops in your route to accommodate the number of nights you put in for the new stop.

In effect it keeps a running calendar starting with the day your trip begins and calculating the date of each new stop according to how many nights you said you would be at the previous stop. So, you can insert a stop of one or more days and the date of each subsequent stop will change accordingly.

RV Trip Wizard is for trip planning and not really route planning, although as you plan your trip the route is shown on the map that is an integral part of the app. If you change or add a stop the route on the map will change to show the new stop.
I use it for route planning, you can drag the route, it uses Google maps. On the upper right corner of the map view it gives you the option to enable or disable drag.
Rotis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #23

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotis View Post
I use it for route planning, you can drag the route, it uses Google maps. On the upper right corner of the map view it gives you the option to enable or disable drag.
Thanks for reminding me about this. I found enabling drag didn't work very well even on a fast computer with a mouse so I forgot about it. Dragging on an iPad (in RV Trip Wizard) is really a kluge, in my opinion.

Please don't get me wrong I like RV Trip Wizard a lot but only use it for certain things. I use Copilot RV on an iPad Pro for actual routing and GPS navigation, and only use RV Trip Wizard (together with RV Park Reviews) for finding campgrounds near my next destination. In effect, I'm only scratching the surface of RV Trip Wizard's capabilities.

BTW, I use an Apple TV through my coach wifi to mirror Copilot to my front TV so, if necessary, I can see what's happening as my wife navigates. Google maps on an iPhone is my backup.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #24

For those of you that use a Garmin 760 (or similar) Garmin has a compatible program called Basecamp. Basecamp has a trip planner feature and you can upload the trips to the 760. It's a free download.

BaseCamp™ | Garmin | United States
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about this. I found enabling drag didn't work very well even on a fast computer with a mouse so I forgot about it. Dragging on an iPad (in RV Trip Wizard) is really a kluge, in my opinion.

Please don't get me wrong I like RV Trip Wizard a lot but only use it for certain things. I use Copilot RV on an iPad Pro for actual routing and GPS navigation, and only use RV Trip Wizard (together with RV Park Reviews) for finding campgrounds near my next destination. In effect, I'm only scratching the surface of RV Trip Wizard's capabilities.

BTW, I use an Apple TV through my coach wifi to mirror Copilot to my front TV so, if necessary, I can see what's happening as my wife navigates. Google maps on an iPhone is my backup.
You do almost exactly what I do, I also use an iPad with Copilot RV for GPS (wife loves it) although I use RV Wizard (with RV Park Reviews) for the routing then copy it on the iPad. I agree the drag function can be a little clunky but I do it on Apple MacBook Pro in the enlarged map view so it's not too bad.

I do the iPad mirror thing too, works great. I also use Allstays Pro for campgrounds, I've found a lot of campgrounds / parks that are not in RV Trip Wizard
Rotis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #26

Quote:

Thanks to the help from forum members we are planning a trip with RV Trip Wizard. I think it currently does allow you to drag the route. It adds it as a waypoint but I haven't figured out more than that.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Oy! This is my point, there's no one tool that really does it all well. I use RVParky to research campgrounds before leaving, but I keep AllStays on my phone in case I need to find one and have no internet. I like the rich traffic and road-condition information in Waze, but I keep CoPilot at hand in case I loose connectivity. IRoute is the only app that lets me plan a real itenerarary (with stops of less than "overnight") so I turn to it for long trip planning. My Good Sams GPS is the only tool I have that claims to be able to route me only places that mr RV should go... but I don't trust it so I like to preview the route in GoogleEarth. I sure would like to whittle that list down to one or two. And no, RV Wizard is not the answer for me, I don't want to bash it, but I just don't like it.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #28

If you are using a Garmin 760 Basecamp has an RV profile that avoids non RV friendly routes. Also allows stops of any duration.

PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard