Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are thinking of going out West to travel up the west coast and the coast road plus all interesting places in between. Has anyone done this trip and what parts of the coast road should we stay away from.
We also want to go to see the Hollywood, The Sequoias and San Francisco, etc.
We could see a lot of places that RV can't go to as we are towing a car and could leave RV in campground.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I live in Ca. and have travelled the Coast area from San Diego to Washington. Does not make me an expert but I will share my thoughts. In Southern Ca timing is important because of traffic during commute hours so I would suggest Saturday or Sunday morning for moving from the San Diego to past Los Angeles. I would take Ca 101 just West of LA and stay on this Hwy TO San Jose (stop in Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo and use your toad for travelling up to Hearst Castle or other Ca 1 sights. When you get to Salinas Ca you might want to find an RV Park in the area and take the toad to Monterey/Carmel. I would suggest not driving through San Francisco with the motorhome as you must drive surface streets. Send me a PM for suggestions on getting back to 101. I would avoid Hwy 1 the coast Hwy from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg (use 101) and take day trips to the coast staying in Petaluma or
fort Bragg. Hwy 101 through Oregon is mostly 2 lane but manageable ( I've done it with a 43' M/H and toad). Many of the towns have a lot of traffic...you just take your time. Many State parks with full hookups along the way in Oregon that accept reservations. My favorites are Harris State Beach in Brookings just North of the Ca border and Fort Stevens State Park just South of Astoria.The loop around Washington on 101 is OK but I would go inland at Aberdeen and head toward Shelton (Olympia) and take 101 up the Hood Canal to Port Townsend or Port Angeles. A very scenic drive. When leaving this area I would go to Bremerton then to Tacoma and hit Interstate 5 and pick your direction.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
CD

Tom-NC
You don't say when you plan to take your trip but a heads up for Wa. The Hoods Canal bridge across Hoods Canal will close May1-09 for 6 weeks. You will need to stay on 101. If you are going south from Port Angeles during this time and want to go to Bremerton you can follow 101 along Hood Canal to SR106 & go east to SR 3 at Belfair and on to Bremerton. SR106 is a 2 lane road (as are the others mentioned) but doable. Here's a link where you can get up to date info about Wa. roads.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/olympic/construction/ and
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projec...hoodcanalbridgeeast/
Have great trip.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

The Oregon coast is fabulous and one of our favorites...we've done it in our 32 foot motorhome many times, and love the state parks. Some of them have wifi and cable tv!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

We spend most of our summer on the Oregon coast and have traveled it from California to Washington 3 times now. The Oregon state parks are some of the best around, but you generally need to book them well in advance. As far as private parks, they are plentiful and most are reasonably priced. Hiway 101 is scenic, but you do need to be on your toes while driving and keep your eyes on the road. But, there are plenty of places to pull over and enjoy the view.
We generally stay in the Florence area at a private campground (although there are several state parks in the area). Our favorite is Heceta Beach RV Park. Just up the road between Florence and Yachats is a wonderful little park called Sea Perch and is worth checking out.

After you reach Astoria, go across the bridge to the Long Beach Peninsula and spend a day or two. Most of the parks are right on the water or withing walking distance. One I might recommend is called Andersons. We have stayed there as well as at the KOA in Warrenton on the Oregon side.

If you want more information send me a PM and I will try and fill you in on most of the parks that we have stayed at.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote