Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Louisiana & Mississippi Routing Suggestions Please

From Hwy 10 in TX, thinking of taking TX 73 to LA 82, 167 & back on 10 to 12 to 10 into MS & then MS 607 to 90 to 10... 30’ Class A towing a car... Also looking for public campground suggestions; don’t need hookups & don’t need crowds... On our way to Florida...TIA
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

I cant speak of the MS roads, but I think you are fine through east TX and LA. There are plenty of Walmarts for overnights. Also the rest areas on 10 are good for overnights.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Just addressing your proposed route through SW Louisiana, it might be ok, but some of those roads are in bad shape. I hope you have good shocks, I took my coach along part of that route around on 82 south of Abbeville last spring, in fact it was so rough it shook the screws out of one of my headlight bezels and left it hanging by the wires. There is also the ferry at Cameron, which you should check on before committing to the route, as historically service can be spotty as there is only one boat and if it has mechanical issues service can be down for weeks at a time. The ferry is free going one direction and costs about $1 going the other, I think west to east is free, and east to west is pay, the ferry ride is short, loading and unloading takes longer than the crossing. Also be aware there is still not much in the way of services along the coastal section of Hwy 82 and 27, this area was wiped out (entire towns gone, no houses left standing, etc.) by Hurricane Rita in 2005, and even now is still depopulated by over 50% vs the pre storm levels.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

Thanks Isaac-1 for good advice... G
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote