Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Louisiana Cajun Country

In late February, we'll be travelling East on I-10 through Texas and on to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We've heard horror stories about I-10 in Louisiana, but plan on staying a few days at Cajun Palms in Henderson, LA. Is there a better state road out of Beaumont, TX to get to Henderson, LA ? Also, we'd lik to spend some time in the Cajun Country. How are the roads down through New Iberia, the bayeau country and into New Orleans from the Southwest? Where should we stop and what should we not miss ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
In late February, we'll be travelling East on I-10 through Texas and on to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We've heard horror stories about I-10 in Louisiana, but plan on staying a few days at Cajun Palms in Henderson, LA. Is there a better state road out of Beaumont, TX to get to Henderson, LA ? Also, we'd lik to spend some time in the Cajun Country. How are the roads down through New Iberia, the bayeau country and into New Orleans from the Southwest? Where should we stop and what should we not miss ?
The I-10 is pretty bumpy, just make sure you use some JB Weld to hold any bridgework (teeth) in place. Other than that it is great country. We love everything from Tabasco factory in New Iberia to staying at the Capei Court in Houma and exploring all the way south to Grand Isle through Larose and Cut Off. We also took the Black Bayou Airboat ride while were in Houma, which should not be missed.

www.bayoublackairboattours.com

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

We have spent a couple of weeks in cajun country on several years.

The road from Lafayette to New Orleans is a nice road ... do not cross the Mississippi River on the Huey Long bridge ... IT HAS EXTREMELY TIGHT LANES

There is a great State Park in Westwega (New Orleans suburb) called Bayou Segnet ... the sites are large ... there are folks at the gate ... water and electric with dump station ... you can ride the ferry across the river into the French quarter directly across from the aquairium.

In New Orleans don't miss the Jazz National park just behind Cafe DuMonde (benegts place), Jackson square, Preservation Hall (provided you like real old time jazz), the D-Day Museum, the aquarium, a ride on the paddlewheel boat on the river, the cemetaries with above ground crypts. ...

You need to experience zydeco music too ... it is part of the culture

There are two Cajun culture venues in the west edge of Lafayette ... they have moved original houses, stores, etc to a site ... I can't remember the name of it ... we were there on a Sunday afternoon and they were playing live music and the locals were dancing ...

If you check with tourist places you will most likely find a Mardi Gras parade in one of the small towns outside of New Orleans ... if you have never seen a Mardi Gras parade you need to witness one ... seeing your first parade in a small town is a good introduction to this phenomenon

And of course the food ... oysters, jumbalaya, gumbo ... AND BREAD PUDDING

Although, I was born in Nebraska and have lived in Wisconsin for many years ... as you can tell I really enjoy the sights, food, and most of all the people in this part of the country. We toured there for a couple of weeks before Katrina ... after Katrina we worked as part of Habitat for Humanity building houses in the region while we (and the other team members) lived in our RVs ... we worked on projects in Covington, Mandeville, Slidell, Houma ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I thought they were widening the lanes on the Huey Long bridge, with a target completion this year. From what I've read the support columns and the trusses have already been widened to support the lane widening.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #5

Fat Tuesday is February 22, 2012 so there should be lots of Mardi Gras parades in the time frame Feb 15th to 22nd ... there will be none after the 22nd

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #6

We stayed at Bayou Segnette Sate Park and it was great. We foolishly went across the Huey P. Long Bridge as we were coming into the area from the east. No advance warning of how extremely tight the crossing is because of the construction. We barely had a inch or two on each side. There was a construction vehicle in the closed lane next to us towing an enclosed trailer and he was actually scraping the side of his trailer because the lanes were so narrow. We were terrified but made it across with no damage. There is a much easier route to get to the state park from I-10. If you are coming in from the west, your gps may direct you that way. We would take the longer way around to avoid the Huey P. Long Bridge.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fat Tuesday is February 21, 2012.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote