Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Just one word of advice. Had a friend traveling during the winter. He checked all low wires going into an area and assumed it was OK on the way out, except they had plowed and packed snow at the end of a road which raised him up just enough and he took out some wires.

TeJay
Hard to believe it only took out wires, if so he was one lucky person! That would put a damper on the vacation eh?!

We are about 3/4 of the way to full timing!
All that's left is the house that's currently under contract (chewing fingernails).

We like to take the back roads and as soon as we start venturing west we will need to keep our eyes open for both low bridges AND low weight limit bridges, e.g. 2 TON ONLY !! LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #16

On our way to Frozen Head State Park we encountered a low bridge posted at 13'2". Our coach is 12'8". All I could hear from the co-Pilot seat was "we are going to hit" over and over, louder and louder.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Howdy!

If you have a smartphone or tablet with gps you can us Co-Pilot gps app. It has a RV setting in it that lets you set the height of your RV up to 13'. We're fulltimers and have been using it for years and it has not steeredcus wrong. You can start with the free verision but the other onl cost $9.99. Much cheaper than a new trucker gps.

CoPilot GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8 and Laptop

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #18

We, too, always traveled via the secondary roads - rarely interstates.

We figured if a road took us to a town then it was likely that semis also drove to that town with deliveries. We didn't use any apps or publications to steer us the way. In 16 years of full-timing we never had an issue.

We mainly traveled in the West so perhaps the Eastern states would have more problems.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #19

Lots of covered bridges where we meander. Looks like the house is under contract so it won't be long before we go wherever! LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Whereever sounds like a great destination
Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
don;t forget those measurement are taken at lowest point which is usually on r side white line, if in doubt take the middle
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #22

One thing that got me once, was when traffic was being diverted off an interstate and onto a detour because of an accident. They were holding trucks back but waved me forward. The long line of traffic went through a small town then onto a very narrow road with no place to turn around and then we came to a small overhead abandoned R/R bridge. The clearance was marked and I should have had 4 inches to spare. Problem was three fold. First was they had resurfaced the road and with the resurfacing I probably only had 3 or less. secondly they had not changed the height sign, and the third problem was the road dipped down under the bridge and rose up just after the bridge. All went well and the front end had just passed successfully under the bridge. Then the front end started to climb up the other side, but the rear hadn't gotten to the low point of the road yet. The 4 inch clearance became 3 inch then 2 then 1 then there was a really really really awful noise. No not the destroyed roof antenna or the damaged front air conditioner, the noise was coming from my lovely Co-Pilot screaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Bridge 003.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	101129  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Just one word of advice. Had a friend traveling during the winter. He checked all low wires going into an area and assumed it was OK on the way out, except they had plowed and packed snow at the end of a road which raised him up just enough and he took out some wires.

TeJay

What was he travelling in, an M1 Abrams tank?

Wires are always supported by steel cables, I've seen overhead wires cut the top off a 5 ton truck before they snapped. An RV wouldn't stand a chance.

Besides which wires crossing a road must by law be +13'6" above road height.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
What was he travelling in, an M1 Abrams tank?

Wires are always supported by steel cables, I've seen overhead wires cut the top off a 5 ton truck before they snapped. An RV wouldn't stand a chance.

Besides which wires crossing a road must by law be +13'6" above road height.
Maybe in Toronto.

Here, in the States, power is on top of the pole, then phone followed by cable. They simply string the wire from pole to pole or house, no steel cables.

And the wires don't know always follow the law
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.mann View Post
We are in Niagra getting ready to head home to Maryland in a few days. We are driving a 37' MH & towing. I believe my height is 12'8". Touring around in the car we have noticed a number of low height bridges in NY. What is the best way to know our route is safe from this? Thanks, appreciate any help.
The Truckers Atlas that has been mentioned is a great way to avoid many problems. Every state map has routes highlighted in orange, these routes are legal for 13ft 6in height, 102in width, 65ft long and 80,000pound gross. I have trusted RandMcnally maps for over 5million miles. To me this just works and very cheap insurance.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Murf2u,
He was somewhere in the upper area of MI visiting some friends down a side road. I think he hit some phone lines or something like that. They were not power lines but it did take off his vent or AC cover. He was driving a WBGO Chieftan.

TeJay
Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Maybe in Toronto.

Here, in the States, power is on top of the pole, then phone followed by cable. They simply string the wire from pole to pole or house, no steel cables.

And the wires don't know always follow the law

Maybe a problem in syntax.

Wires (copper or aluminum) are supported by cables.

Cables, as the name suggests are just that, steel cables carrying electricity. They don't run 3/8" copper strand down the road pole to pole.

But now the post has been clarified, it was some light wires, phone or cable tv.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Its a good idea to also google earth a bridge if using the Trucker site. As an example it lists a low clearance in PA on Rt 19 south of I-80. That bridge is now brand new and the steel frame isd now gone.
I don't think google earth would be a reliable source as their data could be as old as 7 years depending on the area. Usually the best thing to do is read the signs! I myself get that eerie feeling when going under bridges and low overpasses...dnt like it!