Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

I know the route I want to go. I need some suggestions for open campgrounds along the route to de-winterize (elec/water/sewer). First night around Scranton PA.

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

I know the route I want to go. I need some suggestions for open campgrounds along the route to de-winterize (elec/water/sewer). First night around Scranton PA.

2005 Dutch Star
Old 11-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred,
Not sure about open CGs that far north, that time of year but I would suggest not de-winterizing until must further south, perhaps southern Va.

We just passed through there and a gentleman took 30 minutes filling/draining his tanks in the RV fuel line at the Flying J in Winchester VA., while I uttered un-pleasantries, then the temperatures were 25 +- for the next 300 miles. Truth is I worried about him freezing up as we continued our trip.

You might consider grabbing some sleep at the Flying J at the Gibson exit, 15/20 mile south of the NY state line, then continuing to the Candy Hill CG in Winchester Va.

On edit: disregard the Gibson Fling J idea, I invisioned I90 and I86 not 84, sorry about that.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingj...tradePartnerId=40203

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingj...tradePartnerId=40240

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingj...tradePartnerId=40213

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingj...adePartnerId=1638210

http://www.candyhill.com/
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #4

The KOA's at Pine Glen and Wytheville are open all year.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #5

Fred , 2 options you might consider. First, the PA Welcome Center, as you cross the Delaware river from NY on 84, allows overnight parking. secondly, Lickdale CG in Labanon, PA, I think exit 100 on 81 is open all year.

There is a good fuel stop at exit 1 on 84 in NY (just before you cross the DE river and enter PA) at bottom of ramp take a left and then left at light for the moment you are in New Jersey; thus, the lower fuel ptices. Be careful of the hill approaching exit 1 and the ramp itself-when they tell you to gear down they are serious. Have a safe trip, Ken...
Old 11-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Thank you all for your replies. I am in the process of adding your recommendations as "way points" to my Google maps.

While winterized, I recently spent a night at Cummins Northeast in Dedham MA. Outside temperature was in the 20's. With the heat on the inside temperature was 65, water bay 55.

I have been considering stopping at Normandy Farms outside of Boston and de-winterizing there on our first day out. My wife definitely wants the connivence of onboard facilities while we overnight at Wal-Mart or Flying J the rest of the way south. It is easy to locate Wal-Marts or Flying J's on Google Maps for our route.

I would be very dependent on Newmar's reputation that the basement heat will keep everything from freezing. As long as there is propane (32g) and the furnace keeps working we plan on three or four days to warm weather.

What do those of you who do this all the time think of this plan?

2005 Dutch Star
Old 11-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fred,
If the outside temps are going to be in the low 20's or lower, a couple of easy things to do to put to rest any worries on this subject are:
1. Turn on the fan that provides heat to the utility bay. When the furnace runs, this fan will run to. The only warning about this is the coach batteries will be drawn down faster.

2. Put a saucer or cup of water in the utility bay. Check it in the morning, before you hit the road. If the saucer remains water, you are good to go.

3. Put some RV antifreeze in the holding tanks.

I've been at Nappenee when it has been colder than 20, for several days. I had no trouble with the tanks.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:34 AM   #8

Thank you Gary, forgot about antifreezing holding tanks!

I don't recall a fan or switch for a fan in the utility bay, do you have any idea where to look on an 05 Dutch Star?

2005 Dutch Star
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #9

We are at Normandy right now. We have had below freezing every night for several weeks. We use our Hydro Hot diesel heat and we have been very comfortable. The days go up into the 40's and for the next week they predict rain, and cold and possible snow for the end of next week, then more rain. The basement has not gone below 55 degrees. We did turn our heat pads on when we have about five days of solid freezing temps. The campground is winterized from their side of the water line. Ask about this before you decide because they do have lots of winter campers that are not winterized on their end of the water. Some just come for the weekend.

They also will be closing their heated pool and hot tubs Dec. 1 for some repairs.

Happymi
Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fred,
Since I have an 05 KS, I assume your DS (a step up from my KS) would have the basement furnace fan. My switch is located (looking at the utility bay with the door open) in the upper left corner. It is to the left of the water pump switch.

If it is not there, consider calling Newmar service at 800-731-8300. You may need your coach number.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote