Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

We will be leaving from St. Louis and heading directly to Mackinaw City, MI (as we have been along the coast line already), but we don't want to go near the Chicago area, Interstate 80 and 94. The last time we got stuck going thru there and the truck traffic was awful!! We would appreciate any help in directions.
Thanks, John
jaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #2

We will be leaving from St. Louis and heading directly to Mackinaw City, MI (as we have been along the coast line already), but we don't want to go near the Chicago area, Interstate 80 and 94. The last time we got stuck going thru there and the truck traffic was awful!! We would appreciate any help in directions.
Thanks, John
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #3

I70 East to I57, North on I57 to Gilman, Ill. Rt. 24 East until you are past the Chicago mess. Then go North and pick up I94-I196 and eventually get on 131.

There are several variations of the Michigan route that will work.

Happy Trails.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
MrG

Most of the mess on 80/94 is all finished. If you take I57 to I80 you will avoid Chicago problems and depending on time of day you could coast thru quickly. I take 80 east to I65 from I57 and most times its less than 30 minutes. (Now I57 going into the Dan Ryan and the Dan Ryan into Chicago are BAD NEWS.)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaallen:
Thanks, John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run in and out of Chicago a lot. If you don't want to go on 80/94, then like jo said, you can jump off at Gilman, or go up to Kankakee 2ed exit, which is route 17, or Court Street. Go East thru Momence, then thru Lake Village, Indiana. Continue East until 421, then north. However, if you plan it right, and hit the 80/94 between 10:30 AM and 2:30PM, you won't have much traffic. Stay safe....Enjoy Mackinaw City. It is a great place to visit.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. with what you have giving me we should not have any trouble. I don't no about the Mackinaw area the spring.In Mo we are have large amounts of rain so, I hope we will not have all that rain while we are visiting.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaallen:
Thanks for the info. with what you have giving me we should not have any trouble. I don't no about the Mackinaw area the spring.In Mo we are have large amounts of rain so, I hope we will not have all that rain while we are visiting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were up there in the summer. I can remember them saying how "hot" it was. The temps were in the lower 80's, and they thought they were going to melt. I sure don't want to be up there in the winter. They must think zero is just a "chill" in the air.

We stayed at Mackinaw City Campground. Had a great site. Right on the lake, and we had a view of the bridge and the island. Went across the bridge to St. Ignas (sp) and ate lunch at some diner that had a old caboose out in front. My wife and I took my Mom up there.

We really had a great time. Enjoy yourselves. Wave as you come up I-57 and I-74.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #8

Thanks Grumpy! We will be staying 5 days so we are looking for a campground that will allow us to do some outdoor cooking. It will be our home base. So if anyone has any suggestions, including the KOA, we would appreciate any feedback. What is Mackinaw City Campground? We do not see a Mackinaw City Campground listed in the TLD, is that a city park?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Thanks Grumpy! We will be staying 5 days so we are looking for a campground that will allow us to do some outdoor cooking. It will be our home base. So if anyone has any suggestions, including the KOA, we would appreciate any feedback. What is Mackinaw City Campground? We do not see a Mackinaw City Campground listed in the TLD, is that a city park? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did an Internet Search, and it is now called Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground. They do have a web site, and that is www.campmackinaw.com.
I know you will enjoy your time up there. I hope you get a chance to go over to the Island. It was very interseting.

Have a safe trip and a great time.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #10

You could take I-70 to Indy then I-69 up to either M-127 at Lansing or I-75 at Flint.
We stayed at Mackinaw Mill Creek about 10 years ago. I was pretty convenient to Mackinaw City and the ferry and was right on Lake Huron. It was pretty cramped though.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #11

The state park just across the bridge in St. Ignace is beautiful...we have stayed there several times, last Sept was the latest.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a link to the
St. Ignace KOA
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #13

I want to thank everyone for your input, we ended up staying at the KOA in Mackinaw city, it was great place to stay and with the off season rates at $22/ night that helped. We had a great time. We did take I80 and 94, the traffic was not that bad of course being Sunday may have something to do with it. We came back through UP and Wisconsin. We stopped at the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium. I must say if you have chance to visit NMRMA this has to be one of the best we have seen. Thanks for all the help. John