Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mackinaw City to Montreal

We are planning a trip to include the UP of Michigan as well as Montreal and Quebec City......Is crossing into Canada at Sault St. Marie and coming around on Canadian 17 to Montreal, or is coming back to Flint and Hwy 69 to Montreal a better route for a 40'er towing??????:confuse d:
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bruce & Gloria:

G'morning from San Antonio. Wife and I are originally out of Duluth, MN. and would surely suggest taking the TransCanadian Hwy. #17 East out of Sault Ste. Marie all the way. We've traveled this route a few times in a 40 ft. pusher, towing, and I think you'd enjoy it more than that Southern route. Pretty scenic passing by North Bay area.

Would also suggest a short stay in Ottawa staying in some RV park on South edge of town and taking tow car up to visit the Parliment area. GREAT FOLKS there. We'd stop on a sidewalk to look at tour maps and folks would always come up to ask if they could help us.

Don't know whether you're planning to stop in Montreal or not, but for our money, we'd simply try to get on through that tangle by taking 417 out of Ottawa to the Quebec line then picking up I-40 for a short shot (kinda SE) over to I-20 and on East toward Quebec City.

If ya haven't been to Quebec City, and if ya want any suggestions about staying in that area, let me know. It's one of our favorite spots next to Alaska . Have a GREAT trip.

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Bruce & Gloria:

G'morning from San Antonio. Wife and I are originally out of Duluth, MN. and would surely suggest taking the TransCanadian Hwy. #17 East out of Sault Ste. Marie all the way. We've traveled this route a few times in a 40 ft. pusher, towing, and I think you'd enjoy it more than that Southern route. Pretty scenic passing by North Bay area.

Would also suggest a short stay in Ottawa staying in some RV park on South edge of town and taking tow car up to visit the Parliment area. GREAT FOLKS there. We'd stop on a sidewalk to look at tour maps and folks would always come up to ask if they could help us.

Don't know whether you're planning to stop in Montreal or not, but for our money, we'd simply try to get on through that tangle by taking 417 out of Ottawa to the Quebec line then picking up I-40 for a short shot (kinda SE) over to I-20 and on East toward Quebec City.

If ya haven't been to Quebec City, and if ya want any suggestions about staying in that area, let me know. It's one of our favorite spots next to Alaska . Have a GREAT trip.

Steve & Lynette
X 2. We are from Ontario and this is the way we would go. You must see Ottawa and Quebec City!
Goodturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback....Quebec City was a must...my wife was there on business years ago, and has been trying to get me there since.....I guess Montreal is just another huge city....we will also make a point of stopping at Ottawa....we leave tomorrow for about a 4 or 5 month trip!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Bruce & Gloria:

Say, don't know whether you'll be on line to get this while travelin, but, on the chance ya are, ya might want to consider taking a day trip along the N. shore of the St. Lawrence from Quebec City, up to Tadoussac along Rt. 138. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! Just before Tadoussac ya hop on a little FREE ferry across fjord, then spend a little time in Tadoussac, walk trail/boardwalk around penninsula, etc., maybe watch for whales, IT'S GREAT. And...DO NOT forget your camera

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

Chickadee/Goodturn

Leaving from Hartford, CT and after stops in RI/MA/NH/VT we head to Montreal. Then to Ottawa, Sault Ste Marie, Thunder Bay and then to Duluth. Then to Brooklyn, Michigan for NASCAR race. After that on to Windsor, Ontario, St Catherines and in to New York and back to Hartford via NY Thruway and Mass Turnpike.
I am allowing (7) weeks for the tour and 50 MPH once I leave Montreal. I have CGs selected for Ottawa, Sturgeon Falls, WaWa, Thunder Bay and Duluth. Rest of trip still in search mode.
I don't know much about Canadian roads, but does 50 MPH sound OK out of Montreal ? I know the obvious about weapon/liquor restrictions BUT I am unable to find very much definitive on the internet about what fresh fruits/vegtables I can take into Canada as well as meats. How about gas/petrol from Ottawa to Thunder Bay ?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike (NAVYBLUE)

PS: I have a 33" motorcoach and toad
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

You will find that highway 417 is 10 kph or 62 mph. Hwy 17 will be between 80 and 90 kph or 50 to 55 mph. Hwy 17 between Renfrew and North Bay is a little rough. Gas will be no problem, except for the price. The issue of what to bring or not to bring is an open matter. We cross twice a year over the last 4 years and have only been asked what we had in the way of food. That was crossing into the US.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Bruce & Gloria:

Steve & Lynette
Is there a particular park in/near Ottawa that you would recommend?

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote