Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Bo

Maine in October

My wife has been wanting to visit Maine for several years and this Fall we have a reason to go East and would like to include Maine. She wants to include Acadia NP. Our schedule is uncertain and at best we will leave home the last week of September but I fear we wil not make Maine before the middle of October. What kind of weather can we expect in October and when do the colors turn in Maine? Our trip will begin in Loveland, CO and proceed to Acadia NP, then head down to Roanoke VA and back to CO. Hope to be on the road 4 to 6 weeks. Haven't decided what route to take from CO to Maine. I am thinking of taking the north shore of Lake Superior and continue through Canada into Maine but am open for other suggestions. I will wecome suggestions on the route from CO to Maine and from Maine to VA. We prefer to avoid cities and two lane highways are OK with us. We will be towing a 24 foot fifth wheel. The more Fall colors the better. Thanks for your ideas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bo: G'morning from the prairies of South Dakota. Wife and I (& 3 cats) have been fulltiming since 05 and are originally from Duluth, Minnesota. The N. Shore of Lk. Superior rt. could be colorful in mid-Sept., and for the most part is a very scenic drive...particularly the vistas on the Eastern shore from Wawa, Ontario down to Sault Ste. Marie. If your destination is Acadia National Park we'd recommend heading East from Sault Ste. Marie on Canada Rt. #17 toward Ottawa, then past Montreal and follow Trans Canada I-20 ENE up the St. Lawrence for at least a couple day visit to the City of Quebec. You'll never forget a visit to old town Quebec...steet painters, sidewalk cafes, Hotel Frontenac veranda overlooking the river, fabulous ornate cathedrals, etc. Park your 5er in a campground near the intersection of I-20 and N./S. running I-73 (Bernier Cmpgrnd. or something like that) and take your tow vehicle N. across the I-73 bridge over the St. Lawrence then immediately right and about a dozen blocks into the old town part of Quebec. It's beautiful...just like being in France!! DON'T MISS IT!!

When leaving Quebec, just take I-73 South to Rt. #173 and into Maine, picking up Rt. 201 and finding your way to the Bangor area. Acadia is just S. of Bangor and DO camp at one of the various cmpgrnds. near Bar Harbor (in fact we've camped at Bar Harbor RV Park). You'll sure enjoy the Bar Harbor/Acadia area and ya might consider a day ride E. from Ellsworth out to the Eastern Most point of the U.S., West Quoddy Head Lighthouse over by Lubec, Maine, AND for sure, try the lobster stew at Skippy's Restaurant in Lubec.....WOW!!!.. Have fun. Steve & Lynette
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

Hi I also am from CO and took a cross country trip to Maine in Oct. of 2001. You will see color every where on your adventure. My route went thru Iowa to Michagan where I camped on Lake Michigan southern tip very nice.From there I headed towards Detroit and over the bridge into Windsor Canada.My reason for going this way was to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, just after the Avalanche one their first Stanley Cup.From there to Kingston Ontario which was the original Capital of Ontario before they moved it to Ottowa. Along this route it will take you along the Saint Lawerence River and the 1000 Islands bridge back into New York just above Watertown NY. You will see a few Amish horse and buggies, on the roads in this part of the country too. A small town Waddington was a good nights rest before heading into Vermont north of Burlington. The colors will amaze you with all the reds,yellows, oranges, just spectacular. A great town to visit was White Junction and Woodstock VT.On into New Hampshire for a short stretch then Hwy. 2 across Maine heading towards Bar Harbor/Acadia Ntl.Park.If you like blueberry pancakes Maine is the place to stuff yourself when eating breakfast. Oh yeah the lobster too! Also this was a 3 week trip for me but you can stop and smell the roses a little longer with 4- 6 weeks wow!. On my way slowly heading back I did have a chance to see Norman Rockwells Museum in Stockbridge MA on the western part of the state before you head into Kingston NY and the Hudson River. All in all my friends what time are we leaving so I can start packing. Safe travels and new adventures , you can't stop the dawn Colorado
uinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
After a wet spring the weather here has been seasonably warm latley.

The colors of fall will differ inland versus the coast as well as north to south. You could see as much as a two week spread from Eastport to Kittery of peak foilage.

Don't forget, there are "Two Maine's". Moosehead lake in the fall is a sight to behold.

If you are around in late September check out the "Common Ground Fair" in Unity. Nothing like it anywhere else! Check out MOFGA on line.

Fall is the best time of year here. Most of the black flies and tourists are both gone.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Bo

Thanks for the prompt replies. Our trip is still in the planning stages so keep the suggestions coming.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

I did that trip last year. We stayed in Maine in the middle of October and found that most camp grounds are closed or closing after Columbus day. The leaf peeping season is past its prime by then. The weather will not be to cold but it will be cool. I stayed in the Sabago lake area. New England tends to be grey, overcast and rainy. It was a very big resort but it was closing down so we did not stay long. Maine is still very interesting and if I was you I would try to travel through Vermont. It was the state that was most unlike my home state of Florida I have yet experienced.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #7

Being a good ol' Southern boy, I found the people in coastal (Booth Bay Harbor, especially) Maine to be a pain to deal with. Bangor, OTOH, was the opposite. And Acadia is worth the trip.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote