Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Maine to Key West

Going to Key West, we want avoid 95 as much as possible. Plan to go 84 to 81 then ? 15/17 to 95 south of DC. Any pit falls or short cuts we should be aware of?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You missed taking I-66 between I-81 and Rt. 15/17!

Try to buy fuel in VA, SC, and GA to save some money. I have an iphone app that tells where the cheapest fuel is.

Where are you staying in the Keys?

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Key West

We are Staying at Boyds Camp Ground
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Key West

How about RT. 15 to I-66 to RT. 234? Is that a better route? The other hurtle is getting around Miami.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I've done Rt. 15 past Gettysburg and down to Frederick and it is a lot of lights. Never went on Rt. 234.

Once I get to Ft. Pierce, I get off I-95 and stay on the FL Turnpike until Florida City. What you pay in tolls is well worth avoiding the hassle of Miami.

We're going down to the Sugarloaf Key KOA on March 22.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

Boyd's is fantastic I stayed there in 2011. I think every campsite is on the water, and it is spotless. Plus its within bicycle distance to town. The only thing I didn't care for is it seems to be on the edge of the industrial section of town, but you couldn't tell from inside the campground. I would camp there again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #7

I come to Key West every winter. To avoid all the traffic in big cities I go:

I-81 south to I-77 south clear to Colombia, SC. I-26 east from Colombia to I-95 south. Stay on I-95 to about Ft. Pierce and then jump on the turnpike all the way to Florida City(the end of turnpike). It dumps you off on US1. US 1 to Stock Island where Boyd's is located.

Watch your speed on US 1. Strictly enforced and most is max of 45.

One of the best pizza places is almost across the street from Boyd's. Roostica. The ABSOLUTE best pizza I've eaten since I left Naples in 1961.

We're at the navy base RV park. Weather has been gorgeous since 15 Dec. Two days in the sixties, at least the high 70s every other day. 80 today. Almost no rain.

If you go the route I suggested you'll completely avoid the Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond mess. Charlotte has a by pass as does Jacksonville. Colombia no problem.

You DO NOT want to stay on I-95 into Miami. The traffic is horrid, drivers EXTREMELY rude, and it dumps into heavy congestion that IS NOT RV friendly.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I come to Key West every winter. To avoid all the traffic in big cities I go:

I-81 south to I-77 south clear to Colombia, SC. I-26 east from Colombia to I-95 south. Stay on I-95 to about Ft. Pierce and then jump on the turnpike all the way to Florida City(the end of turnpike). It dumps you off on US1. US 1 to Stock Island where Boyd's is located.

Watch your speed on US 1. Strictly enforced and most is max of 45.

One of the best pizza places is almost across the street from Boyd's. Roostica. The ABSOLUTE best pizza I've eaten since I left Naples in 1961.

We're at the navy base RV park. Weather has been gorgeous since 15 Dec. Two days in the sixties, at least the high 70s every other day. 80 today. Almost no rain.

If you go the route I suggested you'll completely avoid the Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond mess. Charlotte has a by pass as does Jacksonville. Colombia no problem.

You DO NOT want to stay on I-95 into Miami. The traffic is horrid, drivers EXTREMELY rude, and it dumps into heavy congestion that IS NOT RV friendly.
Hi Chief. Are you at Trumbo or Sigsbee ? How crowded this year? Any improvements in the park? We have been down there for the last 6 years, but got a bit tired of the dry camping. Now at Davis Montham AFB. This is a fantastic park. Only dry camped two nights and now in full hookups for three weeks. From here on to Nellis, another really nice park. Enjoy Key West, try the happy hour at Kelly's, I miss their chicken wings!
Jerry
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the help. We are headed out early tomorrow will be in Key West Monday.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Sweet be safe and enjoy!