Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Mammoth Caves / Nolin Lake State Park Route? (Kentucky)

Was wondering the best route to take to get from I-65 to Nolin Lake State Park just north of the Mammoth Caves area. We will be coming from the north (Cincinnati) and it looks like we will be getting off at I-65 at exit #65 (Munfordville) then onto state route 88 west. From there I don't really see what would be the best road / roads to the state park? or are there signs directing RVers to the campground. We only have a 25' tt, but don't want to get into a poor winding road.

We will be spending 4 nights here and then moving over to the Mammoth Cave NP. campground for 4 more nights. From Nolin SP to Mammoth I have a have a planned, and again from Mammoth back to the freeway (I-65). Just need some guidance in the first leg.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

There really are two ways and it depends on which end of Nolin Lake you're headed to. You can get off I-65 in Elizabethtown (Exit 91) and take the Western Kentucky Parkway to Exit 112. Work your way down to 259. That might be a better route as there is quite a bit of construction going on down on I-65 south and almost daily the road is shut-down due to an overturned semi or some sort of accident. The Munfordville way is okay too, either is decent road.

Where are you staying at Mammoth Cave? The NP Campground does not have hookups, so be aware of that. If you want full-hookups and have kiddos, Jellystone in Cave City is close and decent. If you want a REALLY nice campground, but no pool, etc., then Cave Country behind the Cracker Barrell in Cave City is the best bet. That's where we stay when we're in the area.

It's a good area to visit. You're close to Bowling Green where there's a Camping World and of course the Corvette Plant and Museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Was wondering the best route to take to get from I-65 to Nolin Lake State Park just north of the Mammoth Caves area. We will be coming from the north (Cincinnati) and it looks like we will be getting off at I-65 at exit #65 (Munfordville) then onto state route 88 west. From there I don't really see what would be the best road / roads to the state park? or are there signs directing RVers to the campground. We only have a 25' tt, but don't want to get into a poor winding road.

We will be spending 4 nights here and then moving over to the Mammoth Cave NP. campground for 4 more nights. From Nolin SP to Mammoth I have a have a planned, and again from Mammoth back to the freeway (I-65). Just need some guidance in the first leg.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Nolin Lake a few years ago (Army Corps campground at Moutardier) and the boys loved it.

Been to Mammoth Caves a few times. If you have younger kids, sign them up for the wild caving Trog Tour.

You can also hit the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx for the heads up on construction on 65. I think I'll try the 259 route. Well be at Nolin this Friday for 4 nights and then onto mammoth NP campground for 4 more
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Have a good trip!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Had great at Kings Island amusement park yesterday. Watching the weather today for pop-up thunderstorms. The last few days the storms have either gone north or south of us, so were due for a due hit here if I know any better.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, you ARE in cave country so at least you'll know where to head for shelter. Be safe & enjoy your time in KY (say HI to Diane for me).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We did take the "Kentucky Parkway / 259 route". The road itself is fine on 259 except it is a little narrow twisty with no shoulder space. What you have instead of a little cinders next to the road, when they paved the road last they rounded the asphualt over near the edge and then ground those warming bumps into the rounded over asphalt. Problem is you had no cushion for mistake if you wheel went over the edge. Just had to be on your toes.

Very nice campsites at Nolin Lake State Park. It's only ten years old and was designed "right" all the sites are level and huge. The roads are paved and the campsites are fine cinders. Each site is about a quarter acre. There are about 40 electric / water sites. About 15 of the sites are on the water. Three sides of the campground are surrounded by water. The primitive sites are in a different location by the beach. Defiantly "big rig friendly". I would give it two thumbs up. It's about a 15 minute drive to the caves.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

If you're looking for a place to eat lunch or dinner, I highly recommend the El Mazatlan in Cave City. Great Mexican food!

Quote:
We did take the "Kentucky Parkway / 259 route". The road itself is fine on 259 except it is a little narrow twisty with no shoulder space. What you have instead of a little cinders next to the road, when they paved the road last they rounded the asphualt over near the edge and then ground those warming bumps into the rounded over asphalt. Problem is you had no cushion for mistake if you wheel went over the edge. Just had to be on your toes.

Very nice campsites at Nolin Lake State Park. It's only ten years old and was designed "right" all the sites are level and huge. The roads are paved and the campsites are fine cinders. Each site is about a quarter acre. I would give it two thumbs up. It about a 15 minute drive to the caves.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We do have a cave tour scheduled for Monday and plan to go to Cave City to restock. Are there any major grocery stores there? As far as Mexican I'm not really into it. Are there any other good eats there?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

There's a Houchin's grocery in Cave City along with a Sav-A-Step. For a better selections of restaurants, head out 70 towards Glasgow and you'll find most anything you'd want. There's also a Super Walmart there. Glasgow is maybe 9 miles from Cave City.

Quote:
We do have a cave tour scheduled for Monday and plan to go to Cave City to restock. Are there any major grocery stores there? As far as Mexican I'm not really into it. Are there any other good eats there?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Final report...On the way back from Mammoth Caves area, we took I-65 getting on at Cave City and heading north. Yes, there is construction on 65 from at least Cave City northward. They are upgrading the freeway from 2 lanes to 3 each way. It will be some time before it is finished all the way to Elizabethtown. It was a Saturday and the traffic moved along just fine with nice "wide" lanes in the construction zones.

When we go back I think I will try route 88 from Munfordville to get to Nolin Lake State Park. The parts of 88 we did travel on was real nice. I really didn't like the route 259 because of how the pavement was rolled over at the edges. There would also be a drop-off if your RV tires should happen to catch the edge....of the pavement into the ditch or someone front yard. We have a 8' wide tt, but if you had a "wide bodied" rig, you would have to cheat the yellow center line around the turns...