Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Maryland to Maine...I95 or??

I hate I95, the traffic, tolls, construction. Any suggestions on alternate routes to Bar Harbor or Costal Maine? Never been to New England and have 2 weeks in early Sept to explore.
Thanks
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
do not know about Maryland to Portland, but it is a
beautiful drive on rt 1 from Portland to Bar Harbor. plenty of sceanery and shopping along the way.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

I-81 to I-84, to I-495 to I-95, Bad spot is Hartford, seems to always be a mess, but you miss all of NJ and NY, NYC. I-95 n of Boston is not too bad, nice places to get off and run up US 1 from NH border north.

Have also gone through Vermont, and come into Bangor (where the Grand kids live) via I-91 and Route 2. Route 2 is a nice drive, but mountains and small towns bother some.
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rt 1 in Maine is a great road. Will take you all the way to ellsworth and then on to Bar Harbor. enjoy the ride.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been doing the New England thing in the fall for the past 12 years. I avoid the metro NY area Conn and Mass. From Jersey I take the NY Thruway to Troy NY then east into Vermont, stay in VT for a few weeks then take Rt 2 east through New Hampshire then to Portland Maine and head north to Belfast. If your not pressed for time this is a good route. The Thruway can be a little pricey but its very scenic.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

You did not say if you are in East or West Maryland. I hope its west because getting to I 81 is easier. I hope you don't have to drive through Baltimore in a Class A. Don't be tempted to drive on I-95 until you are well into New Hampshire. I-495 will get you there. Even in Maine there will be traffic on I-95 but it is still possible to drive a class A. I hope you are bringing a toad because rural roads in New England are narrow and difficult to manuver. Drive safe and enjoy the scenery. I just came back from New England but I did all my sight seeing in a toad and not the motor home.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
going the other way

hey maryland im in ocean city and going the other way 1 month in fl, and 2 weeks in ft walton bech fl, just got back from ohio , thru balitmore wasnt that bad got off a bwi exit for gas. enjoy your trip....
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Hi , I live in South East Mass,,,,,, any rush hour will be packed,,,, heading in to any city in am,,,,,,out pm,,,,,,the closer you get to Boston the worse it gets,,,
If heading to ME. I'd say 495..... any questions I'll try to help,,,,so just ask
Mattapoisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you end up taken 84, which is a good choice, you can skip Hartford, by taking 691 from Cheshire to 91 north, which connects back up with 84 just east of Hartford. Also, 84 does not connect with 495. It runs into 90, which is the Mass Pike in Sturbridge, MA, which will take you to 495. Ma Pike is a toll road, but I don't recommend trying to avoid it on secondary roads.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #10

We took a trip to Wells a fews years ago. We started in SE Va and stopped in Lancaster, PA first. I to wanted to avoid I-95 as much as I could. I can't remember the exact route we took but, be careful. There are some 4 - lanes up past NY that don't allow trucks or towed vehicles, and are not well marked to warn of this. We were traveling such a road and another motorist hailed me and told me. I got off at the next exit which was none to soon. Had I continued 500' past the exit I would have faced certain disaster with a very low overpass....
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I drive my RV from Florida to Maine and back each year. I avoid 95 from DC north by using I-81 and I-84. But since the OP is starting out east of I-95, I suggest the following which will minimize, but not eliminate use of I-95:

Ocean City MD Rte 1 to Delaware Tpk to NJ Tpk to Garden State Parkway to I-287 east. Exit I-287 at I-684 north, to I-84 east. I-84 to I-495 north, to the end, which puts you onto I-95 in New Hampshire. This goes into the Maine Turnpike. If you are touring in Maine you can exit wherever needed or take I-295 to Route 1 to access the coast. If you are going directly to Bar Harbor, the roads are much better if you stay on the Maine Tpk to Bangor, then take I-395 to route 1A.

You cannot use the parkways in NJ or NY, except for the Garden State Parkway. They have low bridges.

Yes, there are tolls. This is unavoidable in the northeast unless you want to go S-L-O-W.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MRUSA has another good route, but again, just so you don't panic - 84 turns into 90, the MA Pike, in Sturbridge, which will take you to 495.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
up 81 pass Harrisburg to 78 from 78 take 287 north to Sufferin,NY,then take 87 north to Newburgh,NY and get on 84 east stay on 84 past Waterbury,ct and take 691 over to 91 north back to 84 east (now past Hartford)...I go right thru Hartford on 84,but everyone fears Hartford...so....stay on 84 to Mass and pickup 90 east...to 290 east to 495 to 95 at the Mass/NH state line..then 95 up to Maine....try to get fuel in Mass...so much cheaper there than in NY or Ct...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote