RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Maryland to Nashville

Headed from Maryland to Nashville in August. Looking for advice on RV friendly routes, possibly a campground midway. Booked on Nashville at Jellystone. Thank you

Chrysdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysdrew View Post
Headed from Maryland to Nashville in August. Looking for advice on RV friendly routes, possibly a campground midway. Booked on Nashville at Jellystone. Thank you
We have been to Nashville many times coming from Southern NJ we take I-95 South to the Baltimore Beltway out to I-70 then to 340 which brings you to I-81 at Winchester, VA and then take I-81 south to I-40 over to Nashville. For us it is a 14 hour trip so it depends on what time we plan on leaving and that determines our stopover location. If you are anywhere near Baltimore then Nashville is around a 10 and half hour trip. A nice reasonable stopover at just $30 for full hook up is Around Pond RV Park, 615 Van Hill Rd., Greeneville, TN 37745 phone 423-234-0229. It is right off of I-81 easy in and easy out. It is one of those places if you arrive after hours you put the money in an envelope and in the door slot. Not much of a website and each time I had to call to make a reservation. You probably could just stop in as every time we were there it wasn't full. The good thing is the next day it is only a four hour ride to Nashville unless you do like we did after leaving Around Pond we had a stopover at the Bush's Bean factory (3901 US-411, Dandridge, TN 37725) for a tour. It adds about a half hour to the trip (plus your stopover time at Bush's).

Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We have gone to Nashville three times from central NJ and use the PA tpke to I-81 then south to I-40. We usually stop near Bristol TN. If it's just for one night we'll usually stay at a Wal-Mart etc. There are several CGs in that area.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure where you are in MD, but....

South on I95 to Washington Beltway, to West I66, to South I81, to west I40. Very straightforward.

In SW Virginia, try Hungry Mother state park. Limit for length is 35'. If you fit, it is a nice place and right beside I81.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 05-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

This is great information. Thank you
Chrysdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Campgrounds where we've stayed

Coming back home to Nashville area from PA & NJ. Yes, Taking I-81 to I-40 is the way we came. Very scenic along I-81 coming through the Shenandoah Valley.

Campgrounds along the way where we were pleased:
* Shenandoah Valley Campground, Verona, Virginia (Near I-81)
* Luray KOA, Luray, VA (Near I-81, close to Luray Caverens)
* Baileyton KOA, Greeneville, Tennessee (off I-81 just north of I-40)

All had 30 amp pull-thrus and FHU.

Right near the Jellystone CG are three RV dealers. Bankston Motor Homes (no service dept here), Cullum & Maxey Camping Center and Camping World. The last two have stores. Lots of restaurants nearby, as is Opryland Hotel, Opry Mills Mall and The Grand Old Opry.

Exit I-40 and take the Briley Parkway north to the Music Valley Drive/McGavock Pike exit and keep in the right of the two lanes exiting west. The very next right (stoplight) is Music Valley Drive. Been this way with my MH and toad going to Camping World.

Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote