Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mass to PA road report

Here's a bit of a road report for any who might be traveling these routes in the reasonably near future. Subjective terms like "pretty good" or "rough" are from the point of view of a motorhome with 110psi front tires.

20 OCT, Bellingham, MA to E Stroudsburg, PA; I-90Westbound / I-84Westbound to Port Jervis / US209South

The western segments of I-495 around Boston are in very good shape in both directions. I-90 west from I-495 to the I-84 interchange near Sturbridge is basically pretty good with some rough spots at bridge boundaries. There is also an area of several miles in the Millbury area (Exits 10, 10A, and 11) that has some pretty rough sections in both lanes.

I-84 west is mostly very good from the I-90 interchange all the way through Hartford, with a few bridge joints thrown in to keep you awake. West of Hartford there are a few mildly rough areas and ongoing construction, and approaching and going through Waterbury there is construction, and the road itself is in pretty rough shape for several miles. The State of CT has been working on I-84 for a couple of years now, and both sides are much improved from what you may remember from a few years back. For the time being, though, I will continue to use the I-691/I-91 detour to avoid some of the rough and construction areas between Waterbury and Hartford.

Once you get well west of Waterbury the road is in good shape, and continues so with few exceptions into New York State to Port Jervis.

US209 is mostly two lane blacktop. From Port Jervis it will take you along a commercial stretch and through downtown Milford PA, all in pretty good shape, and then down along the Delaware River for about 30 miles, through the Delaware Water Gap NRA. All of the road along the river is two-lane, but in excellent condition, even for large vehicles.
...more to follow.....

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The State of CT has been working on I-84 for a couple of years now, and both sides are much improved from what you may remember from a few years back.
The State of CT has been working on I-84 since I was born!!! I can't remember a time in my life where some piece of I-84 hasn't been under construction. The Waterbury mess should've been done the last time they were making a mess in Waterbury, less than 10 years ago.

Anyhow, thanks for the road report John! Going to head south in a couple more weeks and good to know what folks are experiencing on different routes.
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote