Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
May 2016 Trip

We are starting the planning for a trip from Arkansas to Western Colorado, then on to MOAB. We hope to leave in mid to late May and although I have made similar trips not this far north this time of year. Should I fear the higher elevations between Denver and Grand Junction. I tend to travel the Interstate System with a 40 ft DP and a Jeep Wrangler Toad. Stop in Grand Junction for a few days to attend neice's graduation then on to MOAB. Any suggestions warnings will be appreciated.

Tom Carolyn & Rowdy (the Lab)
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40 DP
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
Well, weather will be pretty iffy that time of year. Still the chance for plenty of snow, especially at elevation. Keep in mind Denver is 5,000ft., and you go up from there. I'd have one eye on my weather app everyday. We came out of Denver a couple years ago on the 1st of June, and hit a heckuva snow storm when we came out of the Eisenhower tunnel.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Good advice on watching the weather. Last winter we were in the southwest hoping to go north in the Utah area but the weather did prevent us from making that journey. I use the weather app on the phone to make sure we were not driving into a severe weather issue and missed it all.
Ron & Candy, Toledo Ohio
2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8368
2006 GMC Canyon
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
In our opinion, you shouldn't have any problems mid to late May. If it does snow it won't last. Just allow plenty of time for extra night stays and watch the weather.

We rarely drove interstates with our 40' unless there was absolutely no other way to get from A to B. Many secondary roads are easier to travel. Even I-70 out of Denver has a very high elevation and that's where you might run into snow.

You might even consider taking Hwy 50 across Colorado, depending where you want to go. You could take it to Montrose and then north to Grand Junction. It's a very good highway. We've traveled on it often. The only issue on Hwy 50 would be Monarch Pass between Salida and Poncha Springs, CO. The westbound descent is 6% for 9 miles with some 30, 35 and 45 mph curves - not serious switchbacks. There are no runaway ramps.

Compare that to I-70 westbound at Vail Pass where you'll have a 7% descent for about 10 miles with with 2 runaway ramps.

You should have absolutely no issues in Moab late May. In fact, it could be very hot. Have a great trip! It's a favorite area of ours.

You also might want to purchase the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' Western Edition. Google and purchase it directly from the editor. Amazon's price is extremely high for some reason. It's been very useful for us as we enjoy driving in the mountains.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote