Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Maybe on to Maine

When we started our journey in Oregon back in Nov 2012 we teased about making to Maine and eating fresh lobster. But as we traveled we found we did so pretty slowly. Staying normally a week at each stop. So not long ago we figured Maine was out of the question for this year.
BUT next week we will find ourselves at the west side of West Virginia and are having a THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND moment. (That's the title of our blog LOL) and are thinking,, to heck with it,, what if we push on to Maine from here and then work south to Gettysburg and then on south.
So question.. from Huntington West Virginia which way would you go to get to lets say Kittery Maine? Keeping in mind that we would travel a little farther to avoid large cities like NY, Boston, Phily ext. We really have no desire to see them or travel in the traffic. And I have never been on a toll road in my life so have no idea what hassle they bring with a motorhome and toad.
Thanks is advance.

Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Go for it!!!

There is no easy to get there. In New England we say 'yea caan't get thea from hea.' I hope these files attach. I don't know of any safe non-toll roads to take. The old roads in the North East are small and overgrown with low bridges. I am directing you through NY over the Tappan Zee Bridge. There is a hefty one way toll of over $22. We just did it last month but I don't recall the exact amount. 495 around Boston is busy at rush hour. 95 through Conn is never easy but is doable.

This is the first time I have used the advanced mode and I am missing some information to provide you with driving directions. I will post this and get the other for you and post it next.

If you are in NE for the fall and the weather is good you will be very pleased. If it rains...

Have fun,

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tappan Zee Bridge.pdf (149.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf WV to ME.pdf (54.4 KB, 38 views)

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sorry. I can't get Streets and Trips to give me a good file of the driving directions. I hope you have a good GPS. One word of advice is to stay away from "Parkways" in NY. When you come off the Tappan Zee Bridge be very vigilant. The signs are deceiving. You want to head toward New England.

I look forward to your report on your adventure.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

Sorry I have not replied to this yet but we have been camping in a area with no internet service the last week.
Thanks for the efforts there Rick!! I'll study that a bit if we decide to make that run.
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

I agree that the Tappan Zee bridge is the best crossing. I use streets and trips and stay inlaand away from 95 until I must decide to go via New Hampshire-great trip through the mountains OR pick up 95 north of Boston. Great Camping at a number of cgs near Bar Harbor
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry about the new 'toll' experience for you. No avoiding it in the North East as far as I know. Truckers may have secret routes that won't peel the roof off the rig but I just stay with the interstates and suffer with the tolls.

About internet. Carried Hughes on a tripod for many years. Got to be too much of a hassle. We now use ATT data plan on our cell phones with laptop tethering via wifi. Works pretty good for the most part.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

We traveled from Gettysburg to Bangor Maine. We were on I95. The George Washington bridge in Manhatten area was $37 for class c and tow. The road was rough every cupboard door opened. We have a gps that allows us to program RV mode. Gps can be purchased at rand mcnalley. We stopped in Old Mystic, CT for 2 nights. Couple next to us just traveled same area but ended up on roads with low bridges. We are now in Bar Harbor, ME and getting ready to head back down coast to Old Orchard beach.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
That is the very reason I recommend the Tappan Zee Bridge. I avoid NYC like the plague! I think there is a propane restriction also, but may not be enforced. I-287 is a very good road. Toll on the bridge from W to E is $22.65 if I recall. From E to W is free. I hope I am correct on this. I have $15.75 in toll receipts coming from MA to WV.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I'd go up through the Catskills and across Southern Vermont & New Hampshire to Maine, but coming back down south, by no means should you avoid the toll roads. The horror stories about outrageous tolls are hogwash, except for a couple bridges, and they're not really outrageous. Definitely use the Tappan Zee. We avoided toll roads coming down from Maine last October, and it was a huge mistake. You can't imagine how incredibly involved it is to go around NYC and Philly without toll roads. You get into Princeton, NJ with a 37' Class A towing a car, and you'll think ..."maybe I should just stop at the next stoplight, put 'er in Park and walk away. Not really that bad, but the roads are so narrow that you'll be riding the centerline with your left front tire all the way.
Good luck! It's a great trip and don't forget, Cooperstown, New York and the Baseball Hall of Fame is right on the way, as is Washington Irving's "Rip Van Winkle" country.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #10

Having made this trip many times. I will agree with the recommendations to avoid the George Washington Bridge. Tappan Zee is by far the better . However, coming from the south I continue up the NY Thruway, and then take the Mass. Turnpike across. It is a little longer mileage but I have rarely run into traffic this way. Plus the view is nicer. IMHO!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Good advise from all of you. Because I have a house south of Boston I take RT 24 to Fall River and follow RT 6 over the new Brighten Street Bridge to Summerset and on the I-195. Stay in the left lane out of Providence and it will link onto I-95S to NY.

It will be good to hear from the originators of this topic. Their travel story will be interesting.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Being that you are in Huntington West Virginia , why not go 79 to Morgantown, then 68 to 81, Harrisburg. Then 81 to Scranton and then onto 84. You will bypass most of everything you inquired about, while keeping distance down. Susan and I will be coming from Maine in Oct to Fla, we plan on keeping a wide bypass around those areas while enjoying the small towns.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I need to correct my last post. Out of Providence, RI is I-95 toward NY.

If you have the time... A very scenic route through ME to NH is US-2. It is slow but very scenic. This will continue to St Johnsbury, VT. From there you can go south or continue west to Burlington and take a ferry across Lake Champlain. This is a true adventure with much beauty.

Someone mentioned Princeton, NJ as a good place to avoid. Please trust this wisdom. I was brand new to RVing and GPS usage. My GPS took me through downtown Princeton. I almost gave up RVing after that!!! (Not quite but it made me question allot.)

Have fun.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #14

gatorcq is right on. We've been to Maine many times coming up from Maryland. To make a long story short I-81N to I-84E to I-90E to 495 to I-95N. You'll hit a couple tolls but nothing outrageous. We're currently in Maine and will be til the 5th of Sept.