Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Medford Oregon Parking Ban

Every year or two a local community, sometimes at the urging of a campground owner takes issue with RVers overnighting at Wal-Mart. I was reading Nick Russell's Gypsy Journal blog and he reported Medford, Oregon is enforcing a parking ban at their local Wal-Mart. Nick has added Medford on his RV Unfriendly Cities list. He posted the City Manager's email for anyone that wanted to contact them. CMO@cityofmedford.org You may recall a few years ago Lake City, Florida also banned RV parking and a massive amount of emails and press coverage resulted in a change. I emailed and received a reply that because of undesireables, and acts of lawlessness, including shop lifting, that Medford at the urging of the Wal-Mart manager enacted the parking ban. We all know that the "one percenters" abuse all rules including respectful parking at Wal-Mart, but I find it hard to believe this was instigated by Wal-Mart.

Bob, Dot & Leah, USN Retired
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Chevy Equinox LTZ/Blue Ox Tow Bar
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
I have to agree. If the manager did not want RVs parking on the lot, all he had to do was refuse permission and put up signs. It would seem that he could control the lot without a city ordinance.

Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
I have to agree. If the manager did not want RVs parking on the lot, all he had to do was refuse permission and put up signs. It would seem that he could control the lot without a city ordinance.

Yeah, but....... If the manager institutes a policy and posts his own signs, enforcement comes at the store's expense, most likely with fairly expensive private security of questionable effectiveness. If the city passes an ordinance, enforcement comes through the local police.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

The Walmart parking lot was becoming more and more of a problem. I watched a daylight brawl among the residents several months ago. The motorhomes parking there were looking worse and worse. I am surprised the Walmart manager didn't put an end to it sooner.

2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #5

A couple of months ago I stayed at the south Walmart in Medford. When I asked about overnight the young lady said we cannot tell you it is OK nor can we tell you not to. I asked if the police write a ticket for parking there and she said not to her knowledge. We stayed overnight without a problem.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
RVers that are on forums such as this one usually tend to know and respect the rules.
I have told several people about the rules of overnighting in WM and they said
"nobody has ever told me so I will continue to do what I do".
When I point out that I just informed them...they said....."as I said, nobody has
informed me".
These are the one percenter that spoil it all for everyone.

I have also talked to people in WM with their slides out, jacks down, that
are on this site. They somehow believe the rules belong to others.....not them.

Let's all continue to break rules, do what we want, act irresponsible, and maybe our
desired lifestyle will continue forever.

luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote