Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking for suggestions on the best route from West Memphis to Branson for mid-May. Would like to avoid the I-40 & heavy truck traffic through Little Rock if possible. Or is that the best route in spite of the truck traffic?

Also, has anyone taken US 65 from I-20 west of Vicksburg north to Little Rock? Is that a viable alternative to the Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN to Little Rock, AR to Branson route?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jim,
Are you staying at Tom Sawyer's CG? I've tried several routes from W. Memphis to Branson. The one I like the best is I55 North to Rt 60 West to Rt 65 South.

Rt 65 South into Branson is a good road. There is a lot of up and down, but if traffic is light, it will give you a chance to see just how fast your coach will go!

I40 West to Rt 65 North to Branson is, for me, a much more difficult drive. Rt 65 from Branson to I40 quality is fine. However, the road is up down and around for almost the entire drive. There are also numerous small towns with turns.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Jim,
Are you staying at Tom Sawyer's CG? I've tried several routes from W. Memphis to Branson. The one I like the best is I55 North to Rt 60 West to Rt 65 South.

Rt 65 South into Branson is a good road. There is a lot of up and down, but if traffic is light, it will give you a chance to see just how fast your coach will go!

I40 West to Rt 65 North to Branson is, for me, a much more difficult drive. Rt 65 from Branson to I40 quality is fine. However, the road is up down and around for almost the entire drive. There are also numerous small towns with turns.
Gary,
Thanks for the information and advice. It is the up & down but mainly the round and round that we are trying to avoid (God help us when we go west to Mt Rushmore, the Tetons and Yellowstone). It makes BJ nervous and the cats sick, unless you go real real slooooow.

Do you have any experience with US 63 thru Jonesboro to West Plains and US 160 west into Branson?

Haven't made my in route reservations yet. We have a 3 or 4 coach caravan going to the Allegro Club rally at ABC in Branson the 12th-16th of May. We are planning on staying at Tom Sawyer's on the way and go to Branson from there. Sounds like a really nice park plus some of us want to see how much Memphis BBQ it is possible to consume in one evening.

Many thanks,
Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #4

The 55 / 63 / 160 route would be my choice, regardless of the vehicle. The road from Black Rock to Mammoth Spring is a bit curvy, but good. Besides, going that way you get to see Mammoth Spring . . . awesome lot of water!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by porscheracer:
The 55 / 63 / 160 route would be my choice, regardless of the vehicle. The road from Black Rock to Mammoth Spring is a bit curvy, but good. Besides, going that way you get to see Mammoth Spring . . . awesome lot of water!
Norm, I'm unable to locate Black Rock on the map. How would the route of I-55/US 63/US 62 compare to the I-55/US 63/US 160 route?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
For me the RT 160 is too much "driving" and not enough crusing. The quality of the road was fine. Just too much up down and around. Tried it once. Will not do it again. Understand that, for me, the coach is to get me to the next CG over the easiest drive possible. The scenic routes are great, in the toad. This is just my preference.

Ref. staying at Tom Sawyer's CG, try to get in the first row. It has a clear view of the river. On the BBQ situation, you may not leave the area a better man, but you will leave a larger man.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
but you will leave a larger man.
That's what I and my doctor am afraid of.

I like your suggestion of the I-55/US60/US65 route. It just adds 100 miles and 2 hours travel time that I'm would like to avoid.

Thanks much Gary for your input.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #8

Never mind. In my mind, I was going to Springfield, not Branson. I was thinking of US60. 160 is NOT good for RV'ing. Neither is US62 west of Ash Flat, AR.

65 is greatly improved in the last year - they straightened out a bad section of it south of St. Joe.

Black Rock is where 63 / 412 crosses the Black River.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd also recommend the I-55/60/65 route. When we were at ABC in Branson some years ago, I asked one of the owners the best way from there to Memphis (that was when they also owned a CG in Memphis). Their strong recommendation for anyone in a motorhome was 65N from Branson to 60, then I55 to Memphis.

Eat at Neeley's BBQ in Memphis...best BBQ we've ever had.

When you get to Rapid City, Yellowstone and the Tetons, you won't be able to avoid the up and down and round and round. I would suggest the best example of that would be the Beartooth Highway from Red Lodge, MT to the NE entrance of Yellowstone. That is a drive that will test the driver and the coach but will yield scenery that is pretty breath taking.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #10

The I-55, 60, 65 route will be your best route. Avoid 160 AT ALL COSTS!! We are presently staying at ABC in Branson, and have lived in the area for almost 7 years. My parents live approx 40 miles east of here, right off of 160. It takes us over an hour to get there just driving the pickup.
AuntSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How is US 63 from I 55 to US 60?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Last Nov. we left Branson and used 65N-60-63-55 to West Memphis. I found that route to be just fine. There may not be that many facilities along 63, and other than some twisty portions it travelled well.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Ding-a-ling. I think we'll try that as opposed to the longer I 55/US 60 route. That would put us into a 7-8 hour travel day which we do not want to do.