Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Merritt, BC to Oliver, BC?

We're in a park outside of Merritt, BC and will be heading to Oliver, BC in a few days. Google maps takes us 5A to 97C to then South on 97.

A gent in our park suggested that the 97C route was quite a bit of mountain up, up and then up more. Followed by, down, down, and down again!

He suggested that we deviate, and go 5A all the way South to Princeton, BC. Then over on 3 and then 3A to get into Oliver, BC. Agreed it was longer as far as miles, well KM's, and time - but much easier on the rig!

Not to be too rude, but other things he said about RV's in general, was just not accurate(:!

This makes me come to the gang here, to double check his recommendation on driving directions to Oliver...

Any of our Canadian friends, or other Canadian veterans - have any input on this suggested route?

TIA,
Smitty

(And for sure. No Worries!!! If we go the Google Map route, we'll be fine. Just slow climbing the hills, and even slower defending down... Love our Jake Compression Brake!!!)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

The Connector 97C is a high mountain freeway and up/down , up down , then way down , is an accurate description .
The route through Princeton is nearly all two lane, some pretty winding spots , but 3A has a climb and drop at the Oliver end.
97 through Penticton can be VERY busy, Penticton , south to the junction of 3 and on to Oliver , has it's own ups and downs too.
It's been 5+ years since I drove the road, 5A from 97C to Princton , and I was only in my Van so I won't comment on conditions for an RV.
JMHO. Go the Princton Route , take your time and enjoy . Traffic on the other route can be a white knuckle drive in any vehicle .

BTW. I was born in Oliver and raised in Kelowna , did way too much driving on all the roads as a teen ( well 97C didn't exist then , but I've driven it a lot lately.)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take the route for 97, the Hope Princeton is a georgeous travel but up to 8% grades and mostly 2 lane. These photos were at the summit.

DriveBC

A great place to stay, not far from Oliver
https://www.campingosoyoos.com/

This one outside Vernon
https://www.swanlakervresort.com/

Wonderful wineries in the Naramata Bench (Ruby Blues) and outside Oliver is Desert Hills winery. Really good stuff and at CDN $$

Any questions, just drop a line!
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	135960   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	135961  

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Brian the route in question , isn't the Hope/Princeton , Smitty77, is already north of that route.

EDIT: But yes the MINE HILL is a good test of engine brakes , service brakes and nerves. .
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

I Concur....

I Concur with all the above when they say Up and Down on the 97 they're Not kidding!
My first experience through there with an RV was with a 1980 Suburban pulling a 1974 31' Airstream with a full load. That was on one of the hottest days of the year and although we made it it was quite the workout for that poor truck!
(And for me too if I remember )
Have not done it yet with the Eagle but it should be a lot easier!

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #6

Pulled out notes from our return trip from Alaska in 2014. Yep, we did 97, and yep, we noted the up's and downs! My wife also had a note, and we both remembered this after reading that note, that we took about 90 mins to cover about 25KM. This was on a Sunday afternoon, along Penticton. Lots of people on the road. And accident closing off one lane. And to round things off, a helicopter doing bucket drops close by fighting a fire....

So in a few days, I'll know how the 3A route is!

Sure appreciated this gent suggesting this alternate route, as well as all you helping too...

Best to all, have fun, travel safe, keep the rubber side down!
Smitty
Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The route suggested by Google (5A out of Merritt and then 97C to 97) is the best route. I have driven all those roads literally hundreds of times and that is the route I always take to the Okanagan Valley from Vancouver unless I am in "wonder" mode.

Yes, their are some hills and a high mountain pass but it is mostly good 4 lane highway and nothing your coach won't be able to handle easily. You will be using your aux brake on some of the downgrades but I've never had to use anything greater than my 1st stage jake brake.

The scenery is great on all the roads mentioned but the speeds are also lower on all the other routes and they take more driving effort.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
The route suggested by Google (5A out of Merritt and then 97C to 97) is the best route. I have driven all those roads literally hundreds of times and that is the route I always take to the Okanagan Valley from Vancouver unless I am in "wonder" mode.

Yes, their are some hills and a high mountain pass but it is mostly good 4 lane highway and nothing your coach won't be able to handle easily. You will be using your aux brake on some of the downgrades but I've never had to use anything greater than my 1st stage jake brake.

The scenery is great on all the roads mentioned but the speeds are also lower on all the other routes and they take more driving effort.
Thanks Ron!

Once I reviewed things with the DW, and she started to remember both the hills (Almost done...), nope - more hills (Almost done...), nope again - still a few to go! And then the traffic back up (Though I'm told it's a common slow drive along parts of this down along the water areas. Know the accident an people watching the bucket water drops added to the slowness.). It sort of settled our route. Yes a bit longer, and not 4 lanes, but both the DW and I figure 'Why not give it a try? See a different route this time?' Google, assuming I'd pull the hills at the speed limit, which I won't, showed about a 35 minutes difference by us going 5A thru Princeton and then on 3 and 3A until we cut in below most of the heavy traffic areas North of Oliver...

So that is the way we'll go this trip...

And it's not the hills up, or down, that bother me in any ways at all. But the DW does get nervous on the long downgrades, especially those without guard rails! (Though again, 97c - 97 is not all that bad...). Our Jake does a good job for us, and I do think we'd be in the 2nd stage, and probably drop it to 3rd gear a few times. And other then when we're on a long day of travel, the going slow up the hills does not bother me either!

Keeping DW happy, and heck - just seeing a different route, is the main reason we'll take the alternative route.

Best,
Smitty
Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I've always done the 5A to 3 to 97 and then north just for the views and the great scenery.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

Just a quick update on how pleasant the drive was today. Scenic for sure, and such a contrast from when we ran down 97 in 2014, caught in such a traffic jamb. We also did go back and look a few of our photos we took along 97 as we climbed the hills in 2014 - brought back good memories of the scenery along that path too...

From Merritt, BC. The 5A > 3 > 3S > 97 down into Oliver, BC - is highly encouraged.

Again sure appreciated the assistance and input from all,
Smitty
Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Just a quick update on how pleasant the drive was today. Scenic for sure, and such a contrast from when we ran down 97 in 2014, caught in such a traffic jamb. We also did go back and look a few of our photos we took along 97 as we climbed the hills in 2014 - brought back good memories of the scenery along that path too...

From Merritt, BC. The 5A > 3 > 3S > 97 down into Oliver, BC - is highly encouraged.

Again sure appreciated the assistance and input from all,
Smitty
You missed the best part of that trip. The descent in Osoyoos as you headed east on 3 toward 97. The drop in altitude is really astounding and fun especially with a toad out back.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
You missed the best part of that trip. The descent in Osoyoos as you headed east on 3 toward 97. The drop in altitude is really astounding and fun especially with a toad out back.

! Looks like another opportunity for another time.... And 3A over to 97 was a scenic drive too!

In a non Terminator sort of way - 'We'll be back!"

Smitty
Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
! Looks like another opportunity for another time.... And 3A over to 97 was a scenic drive too!

In a non Terminator sort of way - 'We'll be back!"

Smitty
A few miles off the 3A near the top pof the hill you would have seen a sign pointing to https://www.google.ca/search?q=kerem...sQsAQIIg&dpr=1

We took the hike a few years ago and I just remembered as I was rreading your post. Sorry I should have said something earlier in the thread.