Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Michigan to Badlands

First time travel trailer owner. Recently upgraded from a pop up. In July we will be taking a trip out to the Badlands. What is the easiest way to get around the Chicago area?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #2

assuming you’re in lower michigan i’d come down to I-80; take that west to I-39; north to where it meets up with I-90 and then just follow 90 to the badlands.

if you’re in northermln MI or the UP you might consider I-75 north then cross the bridge; pick up US 2/US 41/I-41/US 10 to I-90 at Tomah.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #3

I hope you won't have to end your trip at the Badlands. You can basically do an easy drive through the park unless you want to do a lot of hiking. There is a campground at the park. If you have time at least get over to Custer State Park area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
assuming you’re in lower michigan i’d come down to I-80; take that west to I-39; north to where it meets up with I-90 and then just follow 90 to the badlands.

if you’re in northermln MI or the UP you might consider I-75 north then cross the bridge; pick up US 2/US 41/I-41/US 10 to I-90 at Tomah.
We live in Battle Creek so I can take I69 down to 80.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I hope you won't have to end your trip at the Badlands. You can basically do an easy drive through the park unless you want to do a lot of hiking. There is a campground at the park. If you have time at least get over to Custer State Park area.
We are actually staying 2 nights at the Badlands. Figure we can do the majority of the hikes and scenic turn off areas. After that we are staying at Blue Bell Campground at Custer and doing some things in that area.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
We do just the opposite going east to see our daughter. I will not go through downtown Chicago! I-80 will still get you into enough traffic. I-90 will set you back quite a bit in tolls alone.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey all, I am kinda doing the same thing in reverse coming down from Minneapolis to Holland. Sounds like the recommendation is to take I90 all the way to I80 and avoid the 294 bypass all together. Correct?

Thanks!
Warmrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmrock View Post
Hey all, I am kinda doing the same thing in reverse coming down from Minneapolis to Holland. Sounds like the recommendation is to take I90 all the way to I80 and avoid the 294 bypass all together. Correct?
Thanks!
Not me! Take I-90 to I-39 at Rockford, then south on I-39 to I-80. The 210 bypass is just as bad as going through the city.

It is a bit further, but with a lot less traffic.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I was going further south I would even go further south to I-70.

We have family in Chicago but when we visit there we drive our car and stay in a hotel. A lot more fun.