Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Michigan to LA in November

We're in the initial planning stages for our Winter pastures in Southern California this year. Can't leave until after the first weekend in November. I would love to take I-80 to Salt Lake City, then I-15 South, but am wondering about the advisability at that time of year. We have no desire to be driving a 37' DP with a Toad through Ice & Snow.
Please give me your thoughts and/or experiences.
Thanks,
Michguy
(Don)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

Just have to watch the weather,Retired truck driver,my last time accross i 70 was 2011,they keep the roads clear but a storm can change that.check the weather the day you are leaving for storms,change routes and go south, I went across in feb.the worst roads were west of the rockies.If a storm hits while on the road you have to wait it out,roads will be closed and chains are a must but they won't let you tow a trailer thru until it is safe,Just be prepared and be safe,Don't take chances in the mountains.
tom bonasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

I-80 is the "lowest" crossing of the Rockies (~8800 feet just east of Laramie, WY) ... there is lots of wide open spaces ... not many trees to block the wind between Lincoln, NE and Evanston, WY ... generally the wind is a bigger factor on this road than snow although I have been chased out of Cheyenne by November snow storms (but they only last for at most a day that time of year)

I-15 from Salt Lake City to San Diego is a good road with no moutain passes ... southbound there is a long climb when you pass from NV into CA ...

You can avoid Salt Lake City by turning south on US-40 to Heber City then west on US 189 to UT 52 to I-15 ... I have used this short cut several times ... there is about 10 miles of 2 lane road ... the rest is all four lane ...

If you want a scenic route take I-70 .... if you want easy take I-80

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Snow can hit I-80 but it is rare to have much fall in November and this is an all year highway so it is kept plowed. It is also wide enough that black ice is usually not a problem but I still avoid going over mountain passes and overpasses, etc. early in the morning. I hit some black ice in a parking lot in Tahoe and was only going 5 MPH but the truck went a full 40 feet before coming to a stop.

Unless you have a reason to go through Utah I would suggest a route that takes you through the southern deserts (Oklahoma to Phoenix or Las Vegas) where snow is not going to be problem.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have made that run from MI a time or two. I don't fret the weather. I have my house on my back and if starts to snow I hold up for a day or two. The roads and weather West of IL and IN are different than ours in MI. The SUN comes out after the snow and all roads are usually good to go the next day.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote